3.8 to 350 chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
How about the rear end? I have the standard rear for the speed V6 cars. Probably wouldn't work too well with a 350 huh? Maybe a 305 would work with it better. I don't want to blow anything out. lol.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, I know that I won't be beating on it hardcore until I throw in a stronger one. but i mean it's like over a grand for a remanufactured 350, another (let's say) 800 for a good 4 speed, (let's say) 800 for the rear end, 100 for the crossmember, etc. That adds up real damn quick. lol.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
$800 for a rear good god. you probably have the 7.5 rear end. which isnt too bad of a rear. many will say its weak, but it will hold up if its built correctly. you can get a 3 series gm posi carrier for around 100bucks then rebuild it and then get a good set of 3.42 or 3.73's and put on it for 150 or so and then just new bearing and seals for around another 100. clutches etc will run aroun 50 to 60 dollars. so your looking at maybe 300 dollars or so. or you can find the 8.5 rear end for a little more since you would most likely need the housing and axles.
look at my sig to see what i have. all that is with a th350 transmission buit up inside with tci parts, 2500 stall, and its on a 7.5 3 series posi carrier with motive gear 3.73's. i have 245x60 on it and she runs 12.28 on the quarter. the car has been set up like that for 3 years and run countless passes on the track with no issues what so ever. so people will tell you that you have to have alot but in all truth you need to figure out what you want to do with the car and go from there. my opinion however dont cut budget on engine. id save and save and put in a fresh engine that wont have to come back out again. if your going to switch to the 350 most likely for more performance might as well do it right the first time. focus on the engine and the transmission, then worry about the rear. most likely you wont put enough power to the road to tear it up. the swap is easy, well at least in my 80. i also removed my air conditioning which made it much easier. also if you dont want the ac get the ac delete heater box, its around 150 bucks and lets you keep your heat instead of getting rid of it too. its great especially with headers. good luck to you and let me know if you need any more help.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
oh also forgot, if you are interesteded in building an engine yourself, check out www.northernautoparts.com, i built my entire engine for $900. they run sweet deals on small block chevy rebuild kits. the base kit for a 350 years 1969-87, master kit with timing chain, stock cam and lifters, stock cast pistons(free over sizes), all seals, gaskets, wrist pins, rings and bearings, oil pump is $169. then if you want you can sub in anything you want for a small cost, like a performance cam for $60, or a double roller chain or gear drive for $30, maybe better bearings, or a high volume oil pump for $10. they run awsome deals and usually you recieve items within 3 days or so of placing order

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor