3.8l Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 3.8l Oldsmobile cutlass supreme. I am not currently interested in going to a v8 because this is my daily driver and i do alot of moving around. I am trying to get as much out of this engine as i can with still being efficient. I already removed the ac, *caugh* air pump and cat *caugh*. I also recently changed fluids, plugs/wires, fuel filter, and air filter. I was trying to get more ideas to upgrade or even better maitnence routines to pull every last bit out of this engine. I say a cold air inductions that mount over the carb (not an open air filter, but an induction like a newer Fuel induction system) Also i mounted an open air filter but the engine was dieing after holding the gas down for a period of time (up hills) sorry for kinda throwing all this out but thought it would be the best way to get some good ideas? any constructive criticism is welcomed also ;) thanks for the information fellas!

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
First, the basics on getting max power and drivability is ensuring the basic tuning is right. Check the basics such as timing, carb adjustment, etc.

Replace any hard vacuum hoses as these will leak. You'll be surprised the difference this alone will make.

Also, if the car dies under a load like you say, there's something restricting the fuel flow either in the fuel line or carb.

In my opinion, it sounds like you may have a sticking needle or float. Either way, the best solution is to rebuild the carb and install a new float if it hasn't been already. Set it to factory spec, and adjust from there for altitude and climate.

cuttysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2007
thank you posse that is great information, for a first timer how much trouble would a carb rebuild be in your opinion, I have rebuilt single barrel motorcycle carbs before so i am guessing its all the same concepts?

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
I have never done one before, but the concepts are similar. Just follow the directions in the carb kit, and you should be good.

Also, laying a white or light colored towel on your workbench before starting disassembly will eliminate rolling needles and screw.

cuttysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2007
thanks and for the vacuum hoses their are the small hard ones and the bigger soft one that go to the air filter. Should i replace the small hard ones along with the bigger ones that goes to the air filter.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
if any one wants a 3.8 ..i have one i just pulled from my 85 cutlass...im giving it away all you got to do is pick it up.im located in florida..
Pic142.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Find a car with the GU4 axle code and take the rearend and speedo gear. It will be the single best bang for the buck mod you can do as it gives you a 3.23 gear instead of the 2.41 ( GU1) you likely have now. It should also improve city fuel economy as well since you will need less throttle to get moving, but it will decrease highway mileage a bit.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
cuttysupreme said:
thanks and for the vacuum hoses their are the small hard ones and the bigger soft one that go to the air filter. Should i replace the small hard ones along with the bigger ones that goes to the air filter.

Rule of thumb: A hard vacuum hose should be replaced, period. The vacuum hoses should be soft and flexible as the connections on the carb and accessories rely on soft rubber hoses to ensure proper operation.

Heat will vulcanize the rubber over time and harden it, making the rubber harder (like a tire). Small leaks can and do occur when the rubber hardens.

When you purchase the hose, best bet is measure all the hoses you want to replace, then add the distances. Also, I usually take that distance x 1.5 for extra slack where needed.

(Example: If I need 24 inches of hose, I buy 36 inches since 24 x 1.5=36.)

Just remember to replace one hose at a time so nothing gets mixed up. Also, use the emission diagram on the fan shroud if you get lost.

Also, I had an idea on bringing in more air with you stock air cleaner. You could get a second identical air cleaner and make a dual inlet air cleaner.

Follow this link to see something similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-AI ... 0199621670

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Find a car with the GU4 axle code and take the rearend and speedo gear. It will be the single best bang for the buck mod you can do as it gives you a 3.23 gear instead of the 2.41 ( GU1) you likely have now. It should also improve city fuel economy as well since you will need less throttle to get moving, but it will decrease highway mileage a bit.

I think with the v-6, since it doesn't have much power, I would rather have the highway gears because I have a feeling the v-6 would struggle a lot going say 70 with the 3.23 gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor