307 cast iron manifolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyg329

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ
hey guys its been awhile since ive been on here, finally got my 307 running in my hurst (and as a sidenote i got the timing chain thing figured out, got another brand and no problems).

Heres my question, i know the 7a headed 307s had tubular manifolds that required a gasket and i know my original 83 iron manifolds bolted to the block with out one. But after torching and retapping practically all my manifold bolts i decided to put the gaskets on them to be safe. . . and the manifolds are leaking. My question is, is it because of the gaskets or do i just have a bad manifold? only seems to the pass side, and i read they are known to crack, and the car had no exhaust leaks prior to the teardown. I can put my hand under the pass side manifold and feel it hitting my hand, and i have rechecked all the bolts after a few heat cycles. My cross over pipe is a real jerk and i wanted to ask before i remove the manifolds to get the gaskets out.

Im so mad, the car runs great but sounds like *ss with the manifold leaking. . . and wildwood car show is in a couple of weeks! Did i fudge it up by putting gaskets on it (they are the soft metal type) or did the manifold distort from heating it to remove the bolts and crack?

Did you check the flatness of the manifold sealing surfaces with a straightedge after you torched the bolts? I would guess that you've warped or distorted them, unfortunately.

Hey Cherry Hill, I'm 10 mins away in Gibbsboro. I'll prob be at Wildwood also. I'll go by bike though. The car won't be ready.

I figured i screwed the manifold up, shame on me for not checking it before i installed it. Well i will take it out tonight and check it with a straight edge. I never had a problem with a cast manifold either (at least on customer's cars, practically all my g bodies have headers on them haha). thanks for the reply joe. . . do you think i can plane them if need be?

Ill be in wildwood regardless of the car or not, what kind of car do you have rydeer? im actually in cherry hill township right near 561 so im only a few minutes from you! Were you there in septemeber? i was the idiot who got pulled over in my white monte ss drunk and got out of it in front of the blue palms hotel! My car and my drunk *ss made it on youtube for that one haha

Joey. I'm right off of 561 near the WaWa. I was not in wildwood last sept. Missed your episode. Hope you got away with it. My car is a cutlass. You can see it under Bessy threads. She should be painted soon. I'm just taking a break from block sanding now. Evan so, reassembly will take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor