327 Bolt To A 400 Turbo Trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
Hi all. Again Im back with an arsenal of questions. I looked in a local junkyard and found a 327 that runs and just needs some tlc for sale for $500 that is sitting in an old pickup truck. I then asked about a 350 Turbo Trans or a 400 Turbo Trans and he stated he had both and he would sell me the 327 with the 4000 TT for a total price of $700. My question is will the 327 bolt up to a 350 TT or a 400 TT? I appreciate any help. I did ask him if he had any 350s and he said no. He has a restored aftermarket 351 Cleveland in there but he wants 3k for it. It is beautiful, but a bit out of my price range. Another question is how much it would cost and how much trouble it would be for the mounts, brackets, and all of that fancy smancy detail stuff that will keep my engine under the hood and keep it from landing in my lap at 250+ Degrees lol.

Thanks in advance.

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
81 Regal Man said:
Hi all. Again Im back with an arsenal of questions. I looked in a local junkyard and found a 327 that runs and just needs some tlc for sale for $500 that is sitting in an old pickup truck. I then asked about a 350 Turbo Trans or a 400 Turbo Trans and he stated he had both and he would sell me the 327 with the 4000 TT for a total price of $700. My question is will the 327 bolt up to a 350 TT or a 400 TT? I appreciate any help. I did ask him if he had any 350s and he said no. He has a restored aftermarket 351 Cleveland in there but he wants 3k for it. It is beautiful, but a bit out of my price range. Another question is how much it would cost and how much trouble it would be for the mounts, brackets, and all of that fancy smancy detail stuff that will keep my engine under the hood and keep it from landing in my lap at 250+ Degrees lol.

Thanks in advance.
the 327 and th 400 will work together well ,but you will have to shorten your drive shaft if you put it in your regal as it is a longer transmission. I would use the th 350

MonteCarloSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2008
Virginia
That 327 will bolt up to a turbo 350,400,power glide,700r4,200r4,etc trans with no problems. As for trans mounts and drive shaft length that depends on which one you go with, minor fab and all should fit.

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
If you're just doing a driver you should use the th350. People use the 400 for high horsepower applications. But if you decide to go big later stick with the 400 if its the same price.

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
79malibubbctt said:
If you're just doing a driver you should use the th350. People use the 400 for high horsepower applications. But if you decide to go big later stick with the 400 if its the same price.

The 400 is the same price. He said he has 2 350 TTs and one 400 TT. He said I have my choice and the price won't change. I am gonna do the 327 with the 400 TT once I get the money. I am going to start down payments on them soon. I want the 400 because I am going for more than a driver. I am looking for a decent street/strip setup that will help me get passed the 5.0 Rustangs, and other Mild power houses. Once enough money is saved up, I am going to look into a 455 swap and build it. A friend of mine right down the road has a Grand National with a 455, fully built, not sure how many shot, but he is running NOS and has the thing dancing in the low 6s on the 1/8. He told me that if I ever got a 455, he would give me his setup list.

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
81 Regal Man said:
79malibubbctt said:

The 400 is the same price. He said he has 2 350 TTs and one 400 TT. He said I have my choice and the price won't change. I am gonna do the 327 with the 400 TT once I get the money. I am going to start down payments on them soon. I want the 400 because I am going for more than a driver. I am looking for a decent street/strip setup that will help me get passed the 5.0 Rustangs, and other Mild power houses. Once enough money is saved up, I am going to look into a 455 swap and build it. A friend of mine right down the road has a Grand National with a 455, fully built, not sure how many shot, but he is running NOS and has the thing dancing in the low 6s on the 1/8. He told me that if I ever got a 455, he would give me his setup list.
If you do go to a 455 you will have to change transmissions as the chevys and buicks have different bell housing patterns
and do not interchange

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
1st question is what do you currently have in the car? Knowing that can save you time, money and ease of installation.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but a 327 vs a 455 setup are 2 completely different animals. The 327 wants to rev and has produces much less torque. A 455 makes torque at lower RPM's instead. Unless you have a good rear end gear, good compression, good heads and a cam to match; the 327 will be a dog in a street car. Add a heavy, power consuming Th400 to the mix and you won't like it. The 327's got their reputation at a time when 10.5 to 1 CR was ok and leaded gas was cheap!

The 327 was a good engine for it's day but it's not even in the running for what's available now. You can probably find a running Buick or Olds 455 for $500 to be honest. For the sake of cost an Olds 455 will be a very easy swap too. The desirable 327's were built from '62-'67 and it's because they had the smaller journal, forged cranks. The '68-69 327's were large journal with cast cranks. People that own them tend to be proud as well.

I just think you're throwing away money and could go about this much cheaper instead of doing it twice.

MonteCarloSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2008
Virginia
If you are going to a 455 than stick with a turbo 400 trans or a built 200r4 which has a universal bolt pattern on the bell housing. CK Performance can build you one to handle anything that 455 puts out and still have overdrive to cruise Walmart's parking lot in Culpeper.

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
G-Body_Vet said:
1st question is what do you currently have in the car? Knowing that can save you time, money and ease of installation.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but a 327 vs a 455 setup are 2 completely different animals. The 327 wants to rev and has produces much less torque. A 455 makes torque at lower RPM's instead. Unless you have a good rear end gear, good compression, good heads and a cam to match; the 327 will be a dog in a street car. Add a heavy, power consuming Th400 to the mix and you won't like it. The 327's got their reputation at a time when 10.5 to 1 CR was ok and leaded gas was cheap!

The 327 was a good engine for it's day but it's not even in the running for what's available now. You can probably find a running Buick or Olds 455 for $500 to be honest. For the sake of cost an Olds 455 will be a very easy swap too. The desirable 327's were built from '62-'67 and it's because they had the smaller journal, forged cranks. The '68-69 327's were large journal with cast cranks. People that own them tend to be proud as well.

I just think you're throwing away money and could go about this much cheaper instead of doing it twice.

Right now, I have the 231 3.8 Carbureted V6.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Then spend your money on a big boat Buick with a 455/400 Turbo. Or, any big block.

It can be stone stock and will pull harder than a hot 327. Two different animals.

To me it comes down to a simple drag racing rule:

There is no displacement for cubic inches.

The last Buick Electra 225 I bought was a 1976, with 455/400 Turbo, I bought it from a tow in lot for $800 without a title. It costs more for the service to file all the paper work for the title, and, besides, its a donor...I didn't plan on driving it. Plus, the rest of the car is worth between $225-275 a ton, it will go two tons pretty easy, so you get most of your money back from the scrap yard. I go to a lot of the tow in auctions, the only competition for big old GM cars is for scrap/weight and dirt track guys building enduro or demo derby cars.

Around here there are roughly three yards that have auctions every two weeks with smaller services and the Salvation Army and city auctions in there two.

my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor