327 into a 302?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
You can't just swap in a 283 crank.

let me know what I need to do to make it work... I know if it's in a certain year range, they're both a small journal crankshaft. other than that, I don't know, that's why I'm asking you guys that know what to do.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You need 302 pistons to match the shorter stroke. Otherwise the 327 pistons will be 1/8 down in the bore at TDC.

Honestly, the cheapest fix is another 327 crank.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
starting to sound like it's more than I want to get into dollar wise... think Driven may be right, and I just might start looking for a replacement crank.....

thanks guys!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Eeeks - block is .040 over already and need a small journal crank. I don't think it will be a cheap to find one.

Makes the used 350's start looking good. And a Vortec 350 looking really good, especially if your heads are good.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Eeeks - block is .040 over already and need a small journal crank. I don't think it will be a cheap to find one.

Makes the used 350's start looking good. And a Vortec 350 looking really good, especially if your heads are good.
yes, the upper end is good, new mild cam and matched springs, vortec 092 heads, new timing double row chain and gears... only have break-in time on the upper half. the rear main and #'s 7&8 rods were at the maximum oil tolerance, so never really trusted the crank, just renewed the bearings when I threw it together last time & broke in the cam... maybe had 1 or 2 hours total run time on everything.... been thinking alot about 350's and other low cost options, including the 307 out of my 86 olds that I can't get a title to, but don't really want to go backwards on performance... when the motor was in the 68 chevy longbed I got it in, the truck would dang near pull the front wheels off the ground...

if I go with the 283 crank, and the CR is way reduced, maybe a couple cheap wutang war whistles??? :unsure: :LOL:
1599298120044.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
A quick search at Summit and I found a small journal Eagle 4340 forged 327 crank;
Might be out of your price range though.
There does also seem to be bearings available in a 0.040 undersize;
You could just get your crank turned and use new undersize bearings for a cheap solution.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A quick search at Summit and I found a small journal Eagle 4340 forged 327 crank;
You could just get your crank turned and use new undersize bearings for a cheap solution.
Guy

There are some shop, that I know nothing of, selling on ebay refurb'd crank kits for about $300. But I think you found the going price for a 327 crank $6-700. Look for a 350 crank and they can be found for a 1/3 of the cost new. It makes keeping the 302, 327's hard to be cost effective.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Guy
There are some shop, that I know nothing of, selling on ebay refurb'd crank kits for about $300. But I think you found the going price for a 327 crank $6-700. Look for a 350 crank and they can be found for a 1/3 of the cost new. It makes keeping the 302, 327's hard to be cost effective.
Yea, $640 plus whatever the shipping would cost is definitely more than what I could pick up a complete decent engine for, and def more than I want to give up at the moment...

40 over on the crank is cutting it down a little too much for my liking. since I don’t plan on racing it, I’m sure it would hold up just fine, but with the history I have with this motor, I just wouldn’t trust it...

keeping options open for what pops up on marketplace or the auctions...

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Regal guy, sounds like you're caught between limited budget and emotional attachments to your old stuff! With the high availability of SBCs and the inability to tell the difference in appearance between blocks, a 350 short block seems to be the way to go. Sometimes, we car enthusiasts get too hung up with "what others will think" if we did this or that. Bottom line is...it's your car!!! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor