350 block

Status
Not open for further replies.

83grandprix18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2009
anyone got a 350 block for sale i want to build a 383 to put in my 83 gp i looked around for a 383 crate but the cheapest one i found was 3500 new n anywhere from 2500-3000 used (all chromed out) i figure i can build one for less than that i jus need a the block to get started

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just pull the 350 out of a Chevy van or pickup. It's the same engine as is used in a car, but some of them have better bottom ends for better durability. I would look for a 1987 or newer engine as it will either have a roller cam or at least have the bosses cast in for the factory roller cam parts. The heads will be garbage unless it is a RPO L34 "Vortec" 350 from a 1996 or newer model.

BTW, by the time you have the machine work done, balance the rotating assembly, buy the parts, buy a good set of heads, valvetrain, intake, etc. you will not save all that much money over a crate engine. Plus, you have to figure in the cost of things that go wrong or come up unexpectedly during the course of the build. With a crate it comes with some sort of warranty too, so if it blows up an hour after you put it in, you are not out all the money (unless you did something stupid like run it without oil or water). Also, if your block turns out to be garbage after the machine work is done, you will be out the money for the machine work AND the core. This does happen and I have seen it happen. That is why I get my blocks from the machine shop I am dealing with unless it is a rare or odd engine (like an AMC 360). That way, if it is bad, it's not my problem. Plus, the shop won't charge you that much more for a block than one you pull yourself.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It is NOT a Chevy 350 though, it is an Olds 350. They are completely different engines. There were also Pontiac and Buick 350's as well, but they are all different families with no interchangeable parts.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
BTW, by the time you have the machine work done, balance the rotating assembly, buy the parts, buy a good set of heads, valvetrain, intake, etc. you will not save all that much money over a crate engine. Plus, you have to figure in the cost of things that go wrong or come up unexpectedly during the course of the build. With a crate it comes with some sort of warranty too, so if it blows up an hour after you put it in, you are not out all the money (unless you did something stupid like run it without oil or water). Also, if your block turns out to be garbage after the machine work is done, you will be out the money for the machine work AND the core. This does happen and I have seen it happen.

X2 you can get 350 blocks brand new from dart or world cheaper than or close to the price of one you would pull out of a bone yard, bore it, deck it, clean it...ect. and GM has some good deals on 383 shot blocks, already with forged pistons and crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor