350 Olds Build : Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
72 Block with 42k
Just got it back from the machine shop. Boiled, New Cam Bearings and Freeze Plugs
and now its time to build it, ive got a decent list so far, im open to any and all suggestions as this
is my first performance build.

Im looking to get 350-400 horse out of the motor

So far ive got,
Edelbrock RPM Intake
Hedman 1 5/8 primary long tubes

What im thinking...
Pistons : Mondello Forged Alum Flat Tops
http://www.mondellotwister.com/PisPinRingBrng.htm
P/N - 2020
With my stock 72 7a heads, 64 cc's these pistons will be about 10.3:1 CR
Would i need valve relief pistons if im going to run a 515/533 or 505/505 lift cam?

Cam : Comp Hyd Roller
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=
or
Will the 515/533 lift cam be to much for the motor?

* with the associated locks, retainers and springs
Lifters :

Rockers : Should i go stud or pedestal mount?
1.6 Scorpion Roller
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/scorpio ... .html#olds
P/N SCP1089
or
Harland Sharp
http://www.harlandsharp.com/amc_jeep_olds.htm

Im sure im forgetting something, THanks in advance for feed back!

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
If you need advice on how to assemble your engine properly, then you should contact either Mondello or Dick Miller, as they have all the answers on tap. I bought the Oldsmobile V8 engine guide from Mondello years back, and it is worth the money. Lots of good tips in there.

Getting to 400HP is not hard with an Olds 350. I prefer to use the "C" code big block heads myself, but you can do whatever you like.

With "C" heads, Performer RPM cam and intake and 800cfm carb you will be over 400 HP as long as your compression ratio is above 9 to 1.

Good luck!!

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
I know how to assemble eveything, im just questioning the parts to use
and if together they would be a good combo to make some power.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I'm no expert but aren't all the BBO heads atleast 80CCs? You just dropped the compression on his SBO. IMHO, #4 (60 CC 330) or 5/6/7 (64 cc 350) heads ... even retaining his 7a heads would be a better option.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yeah im using my stock 7a heads. with the pistons listed about Mondello Alum Flat Top with 64cc head
it will give me a 10.3:1 CR

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't buy squat from Mondello. Dick Miller has on the shelf Diamond pistons. TRW and Probe make flattops for the 350. BTR performance has SRP pistons for the 350, your block needs a hone to get the correct oversize 4.065". Proper head work and cam selection is key. If you want hp and not low-mid torque, get 1 3/4" headers.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Yes i can prove that 350 olds can produce 400 hp.I have one myself,402 horsepower/500 ft lb of torque.Its a 73 smogger block,with 72 7A heads.The specs for this engine is.
-Decked to 0
-7A heads shaved to 59cc
-bored .30 over (355 cubic inches)
-Speedpro forged aluminum pistons
-clevite main bearings
-edelbrock #7813 timing chain set
-Lunati #51803 244/304 cam
-Speedpro oil pump
-Arp head studs,main bolts,header bolts and stainless steel bolts.
-Mr. Gasket head gaskets #1155
-Comp Cams full roller valvetrain,1.6 ratio,magnum pushrods
-Mondello Solid roller lifters
-7A heads have 1.995 intake/1.624 exhaust valves,have been fully ported
-Edelbrock performer rpm intake,750 holley double pumper
-Accel HEI distributor/wires
-Full tube headers (dynomax blackjack brand)
-Milodon 7qt oil pan
-Mondello Mechanical fuel pump
-Must run on a mix of 93 octane and 110 super unleaded
-Yields a true 11.77:1 compression
-402 horsepower @5000/499 FT LB torque @ 2500 rpm
I Purchased this engine off a local olds nut,so i dont know how much this build cost.Parts alone cost around $2039,without a couple parts like the intake/carb headers and such.This is one way you can do your build,could throw a set of fully ported 455 edelbrock heads on it and have it making a ton of more power than smallblock heads.

Reactions: 1 user

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
olds307 and 403 said:
Don't buy squat from Mondello. Dick Miller has on the shelf Diamond pistons. TRW and Probe make flattops for the 350. BTR performance has SRP pistons for the 350, your block needs a hone to get the correct oversize 4.065". Proper head work and cam selection is key. If you want hp and not low-mid torque, get 1 3/4" headers.

I was actually reading somewhere that Mondello was actually sold off and is different people now.
Would Flat Tops be alright to run with 515/533 lift? or would i need a valve relief piston?

The head is getting completly re-done ight now and i just double checked the headers ae 1 3/4 primarys
Ithink i should ahve actually gone with 1 5/8 because id rather have the low/mid torque =/

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds makes more torque than a sbc, everything being equal. Don't get stuck on hp numbers. The only 1 5/8" headers for a G body are the Sanderson shorty headers. You will be happy, check a few different Olds vendors, Rocket Racing, MJ performance and BTR performance. J&S machine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor