4-door vinyl top removal (86 cutlass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee-jo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2012
Machesney Park IL
HOWDY

backstory... you can skip this paragraph if you want. I've been a G-body fan my whole life. My first car (in 1997) was an 81 Regal with a 400-V8 stuffed in it, and i've always regretted selling it (around 2001). In 2006, I picked up a rusty 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme Bro-ham 4-door (the mighty 307) from the original old-man owner (who'd bought a new Caddy) to drive to work cause I missed my Regal. I've broken up with a long-term girlfriend over the car (in 2010 :lol: ), and my co-workers call the car my wife. I enjoy checking out all of your cars on this forum, especially the wagons, 78-80 cutts, malibus, 81-7 regals, etc. I never joined til now cause i never had any questions til now.

Here's my deal...

on my 86 4-door cutlass, the whole roof is vinyl ... it was in tolerable condition when i bought it, but has progressively gotten worse over the last 6 years (it sits outside, i dont have a garage, and gets sun-baked when it used to be a garage queen). I've started noticing rust bubbles and even have a leak when it rains, i removed the headliner so i could assess the surface rust unerneath. SO i really want to remove the vinyl top and paint the roof.

I'm not worried about trim differences (if i see them in yard i'll pick them up otherwise no trim or retrofit the old ones), bodywork is not a problem, perfection is not my goal... but i am VERY UNwilling to remove especially the front or even the rear windshields in order to get this done. i've searched the web and this forum, and i see mostly 2-door G-Bod experience. does anyone here have experience removing a 4-door vinyl top? any 4-door vinyl knowledge is much appreciated!

thank you in advance,
Trevor, Rockford, IL

Attachments

• daroof.JPG
    daroof.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,718

tee-jo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2012
Machesney Park IL
WOW..."ouch" is all i can say

i never expected this... ha ha, but then again it kinda resembles the back bumper. and to answer my own question, i did not need to remove the front or rear windshield. the front windshield track is pretty gnarly though, and there is a 1cm hole in the roof, as well as some mold on the rear pillar... ha ha

any rec's on how to fill the holes?! :lol: i think i'll use JB weld, i think bondo wouldnt be a good thing on the roof?!

Attachments

• P1050913.JPG
    P1050913.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,043
  • P1050916.JPG
    P1050916.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 872

tee-jo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2012
Machesney Park IL
i can say with confidence that i'll never buy another ragtop! if anyone needs the 4-door 80's cutlass front and rear windshield trim, let me know.

Attachments

• P1050915.JPG
    P1050915.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 816

Reegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
whoa! i can also say "OUCH!"....
this is the reason why i was so horrified to remove mine. but i got brave and tired of it so i did it. yesterday actually. and its A OK. i jus gotta remove the glue.

now for your rust... the holes on top shouldnt be as bad as the ones on the side. those are the real demons. sand whatever u can, i dont realy like it but if u want to use bondo go ahead cause u might have to on the sides. try sheet metal for the more flat areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor