400 small block rod clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

disorder_in_dminor

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 18, 2005
Michigan
If i were to put a 5.7 rod in my 400 small block, would i need to get a small base circle camshaft? and what on the block would need to be machined, the oil pan rails and such???

someone enlighten me on the process of turning a 400 small block into a 406.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you should be able to go to 6.00in rods with no problems. at most you might need the ARP rod bolts with the back end shaved down. I have 5.7in rods in my 383 stroker with a regular cam, so you will be fine.

greggbruce

n00b
Aug 15, 2008
baldwin, Kansas
depends on the cam, I had to 'massage' 4 connecting rods to make the motor turn over on assembly with my 383. and yes there are some oil pan rail mods you need to make. I used a sharpie marker and then took the whole thing apart and then ground it out then assembled and checked everything. then after I put the cam in and found out it wouldn't turn I had to fix the 4 rods. runs like a scalded dog......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor