442 stripes and two tone- Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberice

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2010
Chicago,Il
I have a problem. My 1987 442 is going to be painted soon and it is all in primer. I need to know does anybody has the correct measurements for the two-tone on the car? My car was originally blue with gray on the bottom. I ment to measure everything before hand but the shop just went to work and then it was to late. I'm trying to get the paint and stripes as close to factory as possible. I also hear about how this part of the job always messed up on repainted 442. Just trying to get get it right the first time. LOL. If anyone had a 442 repainted let me know. And were did you order your stripes from? Thanks for any help.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Use the bumpercovers as guides then lay your door stripe and then use the door stripe and bumper stripe as guides for the wheel well.
Look up photos of 442s to get a better idea but this link should help:

http://mtupper.oldsgmail.com/stripeinfo.htm

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
x2 on what 88hurstolds said.

Also, we really only have two choices for stripes: Stencils and Stripes or Phoenix Graphics. Not sure if they are the same thing. NOS stripes are out there, but tough to find, and body shops are leery of putting on 20 yr/old + decals.

The thing I don't like about the aftermarket stripes is that there is clear in place of the body color in-between the gold. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for aftermarket stripes if they had the correct body-color with the gold.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Some one on here has the measure ments . I'll be taking pics of mine and writing info down . I will tell you that the wheel arch stripes r about 3/8 or more above wheel lip on my original 442 . When all the snow thawls I get it out of the cave its in and get started good luck

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Brick442 said:
x2 on what 88hurstolds said.

Also, we really only have two choices for stripes: Stencils and Stripes or Phoenix Graphics. Not sure if they are the same thing. NOS stripes are out there, but tough to find, and body shops are leery of putting on 20 yr/old + decals.

The thing I don't like about the aftermarket stripes is that there is clear in place of the body color in-between the gold. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for aftermarket stripes if they had the correct body-color with the gold.

even if they just put silver between them would be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor