442 with Hurst/Olds wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn z24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2018
Clarksville TN
So I'm looking at an 87 442 it's a real 9 vin code 130k on the OD. The problem is it has the Hurst hood bulge and wing on it. They look stock but I've never seen or heard of this. Any information would be awesome.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Some dealers offered the spoiler as a dealer installed option such as desiderio Oldsmobile Ocean township New Jersey. The hood however is probably off of a Hurst Olds witch leads me to believe the spoiler is also. Bare in minde in the late 80s early 90s there were a ton of aftermarket companies making stuff for these cars. In fact I have an aftermarket copy of the H/O spoiler new in box in my attic.

Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
I think the Hurst Olds hood bump was just a bolt on from the factory , Laren Engineering ( sp ? ) repo the bump and spoiler for years.

and in 87 , I sure you walk into the GM parts counter and order both.

but I could be wrong ? someone will correct me.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's a concern for me that if they put an H/O hood bulge on it that they probably just drilled holes in the original 442 hood and didn't seal the hole under the hood scoop. Or maybe they did. Don't know. But if not, water will likely get into the engine compartment...but if they did it right, it would look ok. Not a fan of the hood scoop as it is, but it was what they went with.

Yes, anyone could have purchased an H/O spoiler and hood scoop and bolted it on the car at any point in time. But again, if they didn't know what they were doing- that would suck.

Shawn z24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2018
Clarksville TN
The thing is it looks factory ,paint faded is exact to the rest of the car. I have seen H/O 's up close and the fit on the hood is the same. Thing is H/O stopped on 85 so how did a hood with 130k end up on a car with a 130k

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
last H/O was 1984.

in 1987 someone want the bump added to a 1987 442 ,along with the rear spoiler, simple have dealer order the parts and install with paint before delivery of their new vehicle

my 2 cents

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
As I said before a local Oldsmobile dealer that I bought cars from wholesale put them on new cars and painted them. That dealer did pritty much anything you wanted to brand new cars even custom paint you just had to ask and pay

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor