4L80 swap???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxgoes9s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
great white north
Hello I am new here. I have searched but came up with not much help. I am wondering if anyone has installed a 4L80 trans in there g body that could give me some tips???

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
How do you plan on controlling it?? It's electronic controlled... I.E. computer. Get yourself a 700r4 if a 4L80 is what you want. Basicly the same trans, just not computer controlled.

sylgeist

n00b
Apr 10, 2008
A 700R4 is comparable to a 4L60 not a 4L80. You can get a standalone controller for the 4L80E - not a big deal.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
a couple of questions i would ask someone like Chevy high performance, does the 4l80e bolt to older chevy blocks (90% sure it does but it don't hurt to ask), does someone make a trans crossmember for a g-body, will it fit the trans tunnel?
you may want to look at the other versions of the 4/5/6l80/85/90e just because more gears are always better and the later ones are stronger and better.
the 4l80 is a great trans and it allows you to use paddle shifters (i believe the company is twist machine that carries the "shrifter") since it doesn't use a shift linkage, everything is done by the TCM. you can also have a custom program so that the shifts are nice and soft when cruising and slam you in the seat for the strip.

lxgoes9s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
great white north
has anyone done this swap before? I am researching this for a customer's car. It is getting a 555cid edelbrock Musi built engine and we are looking for the ultimate strength in this build up If nobody has tried this yet I guess I will be the guinea pig and will let you guy's know how it goes

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
trans

i know a guy that has a 87 GN that he swapped a truck (LS??????) 6.0 block in with the 4l80 trans and kept the entire pcm and electronics out of the donor truck to run it with an hp tuners programer. he fabbed a crossmember for it but other than that it dropped in from what i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor