CUTLASS 4L80E mated to an Olds

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That Ultra bell is SFI approved as a flexplate shield, hence the price. And getting it installed is not a budget friendly ordeal either.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Thanks! This helps! I will keep researching and update here as I find stuff out.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The Transdapt is 5/16" thick, my adapter was thin tin. I wish there were cheap 2WD 4L80E here. I saw another 2WD 4L80E locally, asking $1100.
Yep, way too much. I was getting them 75 to 150. Lately just haven't been available.

The 4l60 got it as a core, severe crack across the bell house. Was planning to do a you tube on it when I do the ultra bell, probably spring time.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
That Ultra bell is SFI approved as a flexplate shield, hence the price. And getting it installed is not a budget friendly ordeal either.
Rodger on the SFI Cert. Which accounts for the price, but for me seems a little high. But unless I own a smelter and casting operation, which I don't, not much to do about the price but pay it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Rodger on the SFI Cert. Which accounts for the price, but for me seems a little high. But unless I own a smelter and casting operation, which I don't, not much to do about the price but pay it.
'Racing stuff' explains the price. I've spent quite a bit of time researching SFI bellhousings and cases. If you're familiar with my car you'll know I run an 80e and you can find the trials and tribulations I've had with my setup. To get an 8.50 NHRA certification two of the requirements are either an SFI rated bellhousing and case, or flexplate scattershield and SFI trans blanket. I'm running a scattershield and blanket rather than the bell and case due to cost only. I clearanced the body to fit the scattershield.

Back to your original comment about the cost of the bellhousing, price an SFI case. The most commonly used is a Reid case. These things go for around $2500. And then consider that the Reid case requires machining in competent hands to transfer all of your stock 80e internals into the Reid case. So consider that you already have a properly built and functioning 80e, the cost of a Reid case, Ultra Bellhousing, internal parts and machining - conservatively $4500, but more realistically $5500-6000. And the icing on the cake is the lockup converter - $1300 minimum, but a realistic price for a converter that will handle the HP is $2K-2500.

And this is the reason that TH400's are so popular at this level of HP and chassis certification. A TH400 with SFI case and Bell cost half, as well as the converter, of an 80e.

Sorry if this is a little off topic of the OP's original question, but I thought it was worth mentioning. And regardless of the 'racing stuff' expense, an 80e in stock form will handle 800whp without issue when properly setup.

Reactions: 2 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
For what it's worth, before the LS i have in the car currently, I had my 4L80 bolted up to an Olds 455. I used the transdapt adapter plate, longer rear dowels and a Circle D converter. Everything bolted right up, and the stock replacement flex plate holes lined up just fine with the converter.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That price is why I learned how to build a T56 and have fun on the street. 🤣
Even those get expensive at 4 digit HP. But one is stock form is similar to a stock 400 or 80e for street use imo.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Oh yea I've done a couple face plated ones for people. That and cryo treated parts you'll pay for that.

I've found the stock ones to come up a little short, the Level 2 or Stage 2 (hate using that ricer term) Kit most places sell with a couple extras seems to work out well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor