4l80e where are you guys mounting the dip stick?

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Like the title states . I’m not too sure where to mount the dip stick. See pics, can I attack to the ac box? It’s really not that long a tube.

Attachments

• D4A4AEB8-E2F8-4E30-A4EF-BF52D88D05BF.jpeg
    D4A4AEB8-E2F8-4E30-A4EF-BF52D88D05BF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I use a factory stick and tube that attaches to the rear of the passenger side head.

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I use a factory stick and tube that attaches to the rear of the passenger side head.
thanks for the response. really shouldve posted a pic of the gap between the head and the ac box. i do not think i can attach anything there. and this fill tube may be made to accomodate the extra deep trans fluid pan.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a Lokar flexible dipstick for my th400 mounted to my AC case, I have Rivnuts in the case and made a couple of short spacers to mount it.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Is the fill tube rigid? If so the AC box is a bad idea. Motor and trans will move around. Factory attached that tube either to the back of the head or the trans bellhousing.
naw. its stainless and flexible. actually a pain in the *ss to put stick back inthte tube

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
They're a pita to fill too. My buddy Bill mounted his to the firewall with rivnuts. I'd make a bracket that bolts to the back of the head and then bolt the dipstick tube to that. You need to verify tube depth though and make a new mark if necessary. It may not read anywhere near right.

• Agree

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
They're a pita to fill too. My buddy Bill mounted his to the firewall with rivnuts. I'd make a bracket that bolts to the back of the head and then bolt the dipstick tube to that. You need to verify tube depth though and make a new mark if necessary. It may not read anywhere near right.
Yup. I tried to pour some fluid into it and it all came out . Think ima need to uses a fluid transfer pump.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yup. I tried to pour some fluid into it and it all came out . Think ima need to uses a fluid transfer pump.
Mine came with a special adapter that fits snugly in the opening and a short piece of clear hose. I just stick a funnel in it and pour slowly. Well it was a clear hose 20 years ago.

20230708_172045.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor