5spd swap, from an S10?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moloko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2008
Allentown, Pennsylvania
I've been planning this for a while, since my daily driver wagon has not had a working transmission for over a year now. Any reason I couldn't make a T5 from a first gen S/10 with a 4cyl fit into my 79 wagon? I would get the trans, bell, lines, pedals, and hydraulic lines. Anyone ever tried this?

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Not sure which question you're asking. Are you planning on installing the 4-cyl with it? If so.... why???
If you're installing just the transmission and trying to mate it to a v8, I would say don't bother. If it was made from the factory with a 4-cyl in mind, I don't think it'll last on anything that's not a 4-cyl.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I don't know about the T5 from a 4cyl S10. Depending on what engine it's going behind. I would think it wouldn't last behind a V-8. Maybe an extremely mild engine and you babied it.
Also, I don't think you could use the 4 cyl. bellhousing on a V-8, or V-6 for that matter.

Moloko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2008
Allentown, Pennsylvania
The 2.5 Iron duke shares the bolt pattern with a SBC, so the bellhousing from a 4cyl will fit, but not a 2.8 v6 one. It should hold up, seeing how this is the same trans that was in the 5spd 3rd gen Camaros. My engine is a 260hp GM 350 crate motor with an upgraded cam, so it's not a screamer by any means. I don't really know what I'm asking exactly, just looking for feedback.

Moloko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2008
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Found the clutch I would need. 1988 Astro van has a 14 spline input and a 11'' diameter.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
I'm still solid on the "If it wasn't meant for a V8, don't do it" stance.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Keep in mind that GM did make a slightly stronger version of thr T5 that was known as the "World Class" T5 for use in some V8 F body applications. The biggest engine that GM put the WC T5 behind was a TPI 305. GM did put 350 engines in the 3rd gen F body, but the only trans available was an automatic. That should give you some idea of the long-term reliability that GM thought that the T5 had, even in world class form.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Moloko said:
The 2.5 Iron duke shares the bolt pattern with a SBC, so the bellhousing from a 4cyl will fit, but not a 2.8 v6 one. It should hold up, seeing how this is the same trans that was in the 5spd 3rd gen Camaros. My engine is a 260hp GM 350 crate motor with an upgraded cam, so it's not a screamer by any means. I don't really know what I'm asking exactly, just looking for feedback.

It's not exactly the same trans used in the F-body. The S-10 version has the puny 1"-14 spline input shaft, although the rest of the internals are comparable to the V-8 version (which isn't saying much). Also the S-10 shifter is about eight or nine inches further forward as compared to the Camaro/Mustang version of the T-5. That will likely be a problem with shifter stick position. If it's a World-Class version (not until 1994 in the S-10) it's stronger but only comes with the Ford pattern case, which might be a problem with the bellhousing for a V-8.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
well you're looking at the wrong 5spd. T-5 from an s10 wont hold forever with all that torque. Plus all the headache you'd need to go through just to get it to bolt up. The T-5 can be made to handle some real power, but the s10 one is a bad place to start, even if it is the later world class or not. Look at the nv3500 5spd from a v6 s10 instead, it'll be an easier swap and it's made to handle the torque of a small v8. Only downside is they're a b*tch to rebuild. You're two steps ahead if you start the swap with the correct transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor