6X9 adapter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I got new 6x9's for X-mas and have a question on mounting them.

I fastened the adapters to the speakers, and wired up the drivers side. I then installed it, which went perfectly normal. I had to bend the hook side of one of the wire mounts, but it went in nice and snug.

The next morning, I looked at the one I installed, and the wire mount lost the pressure it was putting upward on the speaker. So the whole speaker could flop around. looking for a more snug mount.

I was wondering how some of you guys mounted up 6x9's with adapters. Any help is much appreciated!!

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
3XBrownCutty said:
I got new 6x9's for X-mas and have a question on mounting them.

I fastened the adapters to the speakers, and wired up the drivers side. I then installed it, which went perfectly normal. I had to bend the hook side of one of the wire mounts, but it went in nice and snug.

The next morning, I looked at the one I installed, and the wire mount lost the pressure it was putting upward on the speaker. So the whole speaker could flop around. looking for a more snug mount.

I was wondering how some of you guys mounted up 6x9's with adapters. Any help is much appreciated!!

So you used the original holder/adapter that was in place for the original 4x10 speakers I pressume.
That adapter won't take the weight of a heavier speaker ususally, and most times won't fit the magnets either.

I used a 4x10 to 6x9 conversion adaptor in those holes.
It is STILL a PIA to do as the back seat, package shelf and the tar papered trunk divider need to be removed to do it. I drilled new holes for them also and that was the worst part getting the screws and stuff in place, holding the speakers up. You really need 2 people to do it quickly and with less agravation.

You can usually get the 4x10 to 6x9 convert adapters at dedicated (NOT Walmart) automotive stereo shops. I see them on ebay too.

You can ALSO use a smaller 5???x8??? style in there with the original adapters usually. On another car i did this and i fashioned a piece of styrofoam to fill the gap between the Original style adapter and the voice magnet on the speaker, as there was a space. Be aware, it doesn't fill the hole completely. The 6x9 doesn't either and usually you can't get them to sit flush to the metal which is optimal for best performance.

Even if you find replacement style 4x10's the magents are usually too big to fit the original adapter so yo still have to mess around with it.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I bought 6x9 to 4x10 adapters from Ebay. the adapters came with new holders that use the same mounts as the holder for the origional 4x10. I finished the speakers yesterday, I just have to check if they still move around, which would cause ratteling :shock:

I was just looking for a better more secure mount/holder in place of the sock one for the 6x9 speaker and adapter.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Ok, so you did use the adapters. I guess i didn't understand that in your first post.

I did NOT use those holders on mine. I threw them out.
They didn't look robust enough to hold the speakers.
So I redrilled new holes into the metal shelf and used long screws with nuts and lock washers to hold them in snug and tight against the adapters.

It worked, but was a PIA to do it that way, but they don't move or rattle this way.

I think i had to drill thru the adapters too, in order to make them line up.
And I had to remove the back seat, package tray and squeze my hands thru the trunk divider to hold the speakers. It would have been better if I had another person to help. I tend to get stuborn and do it the hard way once I start.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
yeah, either i'll have to do what you did, or fab up some better holders. I'll probably end up making some better holders out of thicker wire or something that doesn't bend as easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor