700R4 cooler lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Quick question here, the cooler lines going into a GM 700R4/4L60 are what size/type?

From what I can tell, they appear to be standard 5/16" inverted flare lines (brake line), at least on the radiator side. I'm more unsure of the transmission side, hoping it's the same for both the inlet and outlet.

elcoslick33

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2015
SoCaL-AZ
Quick question here, the cooler lines going into a GM 700R4/4L60 are what size/type?

From what I can tell, they appear to be standard 5/16" inverted flare lines (brake line), at least on the radiator side. I'm more unsure of the transmission side, hoping it's the same for both the inlet and outlet.
I know they sell them at inline tube and opgi I wanna say they have the measurements on there I think

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
5/16" line with the same flare on both ends.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
5/16" line with the same flare on both ends.

Ok, thank you. I have a line that was rigged up with a short piece of rubber hose for no apparent reason on the radiator side (somewhere along the line before we took ownership of the car). Would prefer to get a pre-bent line to replace it, however from everything I've seen, GM no longer makes it and no one reproduces it. It's actually on a B/D body.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Ok, thank you. I have a line that was rigged up with a short piece of rubber hose for no apparent reason on the radiator side (somewhere along the line before we took ownership of the car). Would prefer to get a pre-bent line to replace it, however from everything I've seen, GM no longer makes it and no one reproduces it. It's actually on a B/D body.
If these are for a B body car, you would have to look at a salvage yard for them is my guess. What year car is it? I'm not sure, but you might find someone that reproduces them for the 94-96 Impala SS cars.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
If these are for a B body car, you would have to look at a salvage yard for them is my guess. What year car is it? I'm not sure, but you might find someone that reproduces them for the 94-96 Impala SS cars.

Nope, 1993 Cadillac. The radiator and related parts are one-year one-car only even though the bulk of the mechanical parts are the same for 1987-1994 trucks and B/D bodies (though the last year for the TBI for those was 1993). Much less expensive to maintain than the LT1's or even the Vortec (or "Vortex" as a lot if people incorrectly call them, even Jay Leno!).

I'll be just making my own out of a 5/16" standard thread/inverted flare brake line. If I can get it bent properly without kinking it that is. Looks to be 60" exactly.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I bent both lines on a previous car I had. I didn't have any lines to go off, but it wasn't too bad of a job. Having a line, or both, to go off of makes it much easier to get the bends in the right places. I had to replace a brake line on my truck and since I wanted it to look decent, I pulled the old line out and used it as a template-after I pulled the gas tank out as far as I could. Aside from the union I had to use because I couldn't get one line that was long enough, you'd think it was factory.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I'll be just making my own out of a 5/16" standard thread/inverted flare brake line. If I can get it bent properly without kinking it that is. Looks to be 60" exactly.[/QUOTE said:
Harbor Freight cheap line bender is well worth the $$. Get the one that looks like a 1/2 moon with 2 handles and they work great even in tight spaces.

I have both the 1/4" and the 1/2" one. One of the best $20 I spent

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-inch-to-1-4-quarter-inch-tube-bender-94571.html

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Just found a new tubing bender by Lisle and seems to work a lot better. Tested it on a scrap piece of 5/16" line. It's a setup like the cheaper flaring tools where you put the line in and crank down on it.

Not sure how the plier type are supposed to be of any use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor