77-81 snowflake wheels on grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake sheets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2016
sanford michigan
I was doing some research and its been before to run a 10.5 slick on an 8 wide wheel. the 15x8 snowflake wheels from what i seen have 4.25 backspacing? i think? i want to run them on my 84 grand prix and was wondering if that much backspacing and factory length rear axle and factory wheel tubs would allow this combo to fit, if not ill chop the wheel tubs but not if i dont have to. i would like to know before i buy a set of wheels. thanks

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I would think these would rub the frame with that tire/offset, so a frame notch is needed before tubs.

8" wide with 4.25" BS is basically "zero offset". a 10.5" slick is going to need rolled fender lips and about -.25" to -.5" offset, to keep it off the frame.

GP rear fenders aren't as wide as other G-bodies, so 10.5's rub hard on bumps even with a full fender roll and the perfect BS. Frame Notch/tubs is the best solution for that size tire.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I know when I had 28x10.5 M/T ET Drags mounted on 15x8 Vette rally wheels I had to add about 3/16" spacers to get the tire off the frame... granted it still rubbed going around the bend to the return road. This was both with stock frame and wheel lip in my MCSS, and using stock springs.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Grand Prix fender wheels don't really have the flared wheel aches other G-bodies have. 275/60's will fit without rubbing in an MC or Regal but are going to want to rub on a GP without stretching the fenders

Corvette 15X8" Rally wheels are usally a 4" BS, about -.25" offset, which is close to ideal in relation to frame/fender, but with a 9" tire. A 10.5" tire is going to want a frame notch. Any less BS and the fenders need rolling + stretching.

If sticking with the snowflakes, notching the frame/minitubs is the "right way" to run 10.5's. If it still has the 7.6" rear axle, forget 10.5's... 8" slicks on 7" wheels will snap that in 1/2.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Test fit the snowflakes first. I used 15x7 Firebird models and they hit the lip of the lower front control arm. I needed 1/2" spacers on the front hubs along with longer wheel studs to use them. I also used spacers on the rears because even 205-75-15 wheels rubbed the inner wheel wells without them.

blake sheets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2016
sanford michigan
well i have been doing some more research and im going to do probably a 1.5" frame notch ( or more if i can get away with it ) and wheel tubs. there is a company i found that would add 2"s to my already 8" wide snowflakes so they would be 15x10 with 10.5 tires. so do you guys think with a drastic frame notch and wheel tubs the tires would clear the frame and tubs? im kind of already planning of either folding the fender inside lip or completely cutting it off just to make sure as well. 28 inch tall tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor