78 Cutlass factory 305 to 71 455 olds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 200 & 229 V6's used the A6 compressor. I chucked mine about 25 years ago.
Good to know. I wonder what year they switched and if those lines are available?

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
my 78 salon with an olds 260 came from the factory with an a6 compressor. manifold line is not available. but a custom one can be made.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
my 78 salon with an olds 260 came from the factory with an a6 compressor. manifold line is not available. but a custom one can be made.
It must have been a changeover year, probably using up old stock. Now to either get that line to copy or take it to a shop where they make a line to fill the gap. I would also do some cutting on the rad support and get a 33" wide A body rad or if possible the one you already have. I got my 70 rad in by cutting but still ran warm, it is only a 2 core Copper brass, no issue in my 70S, 195 max without a shroud. I am adding a better air deflector and the GN rad surround flaps. Hopefully this will fix my hot running once and for all, has plagued my 88 since day one.

Reactions: 1 users

Carolinadoublej

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
The original 305 fuel pump has two lines to it, whereas the olds 455 fuel pump has 3 lines... am I needing to run a new line back to tank? I imagine that I need a sending unit or gas tank from an olds powered too, right?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can block off that line or buy the two line pump for any non A/C Olds V8.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Pretty sure all G bodies came with the R4 compressors. You could get a modern Sanden compressor that fits the old style brackets with custom lines to fit your car.

I highly recommend this. The Sanden compressors are a well engineered piece and from my experience ALL R4 compressors leak oil and freon.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I highly recommend this. The Sanden compressors are a well engineered piece and from my experience ALL R4 compressors leak oil and freon.
Agree, they are all junk and eventually fail. We used to grab any used ones out on the junk vehicles my boss had that didn't make noise, a lot did and throw them in with leak seal and a recharge. As said, usually leaked oil or freon and usually seized, sometimes with no warning. After pulling the clutch and pulley off one, I would never touch one again.

Carolinadoublej

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
I’ve been looking at several aluminum radiators on eBay and elsewhere... speed_daddy radiators & Champion radiators...anything from 2 12” fans to 1 16” fan, 2 core, 3 core etc. I’ve also looked at finding an aluminum one from an A body to fit in my Gbody... not quite sure which way to go yet. May look at the Gbody store that I’ve seen mentioned too. It’s something that I’d Ike to do right the first time but also within a $300 budget. Are the electric fans that much more beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor