78 Cutlass front interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob1369

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2015
Mammoth Spring AR
Put this in the general forum also.

Just got a 78 Cutlass and want to put the nose from a 85 or 86 or a Hurst Olds. Will it bolt up or is it a bunch of fab work? Is it fairly straight forward or not worth the hassle? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I dont think it bolts up. i wanted to do the same thing

Rob1369

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2015
Mammoth Spring AR
I dont think it bolts up. i wanted to do the same thing

Thank you for the info.
Im new to the G-Body scene. Been a fox body fan since 90 and this is all new to me. Not a whole lot i cant tell you about Mustangs but Cutlasses are all new to me.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Put this in the general forum also.

Just got a 78 Cutlass and want to put the nose from a 85 or 86 or a Hurst Olds. Will it bolt up or is it a bunch of fab work? Is it fairly straight forward or not worth the hassle? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Other members may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cutlasses of the G body years are divided into 2 separate body styles. 78-80 and 81-88. The entire front sheetmetal is totally different, including the bumpers. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but you may have to swap the front fenders over as well to get it all to work. I have an '80 Cutlass. IMO, you're better off staying within your 78-80 years. There's still several front ends to choose from in these years.

Rob1369

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2015
Mammoth Spring AR
Other members may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cutlasses of the G body years are divided into 2 separate body styles. 78-80 and 81-88. The entire front sheetmetal is totally different, including the bumpers. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but you may have to swap the front fenders over as well to get it all to work. I have an '80 Cutlass. IMO, you're better off staying within your 78-80 years. There's still several front ends to choose from in these years.
Thanks for the info. I dont have a problem replacing everything from the doors forward. I just dont know much about these cars, been in a Mustang since 1990. I know you can make these cars flat out fly but i just like the front end on the newer ones than the one on the 78. I have a line on both fenders, hood, grill shell, and bumper off of a 85 Hurst and would love to put it on the 78. Just have no idea awhat will bolt up and what wont. I figured the fenders will, but will i have to change out the core support or the bumper brackets or whatever. Appriciate the info tho.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the info. I dont have a problem replacing everything from the doors forward. I just dont know much about these cars, been in a Mustang since 1990. I know you can make these cars flat out fly but i just like the front end on the newer ones than the one on the 78. I have a line on both fenders, hood, grill shell, and bumper off of a 85 Hurst and would love to put it on the 78. Just have no idea awhat will bolt up and what wont. I figured the fenders will, but will i have to change out the core support or the bumper brackets or whatever. Appriciate the info tho.
No prob. You can continue to ask around here tho to see if anyone on here has ever done it. You can count on changing out the rad support for sure, even possibly as much as the doors. The problem is going to be the body line in the fenders, it likely won't line up to anything. It all depends how badly you want the look. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Welcome back from the "dark" side, btw.
;)
Post pics of your new ride!

Rob1369

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2015
Mammoth Spring AR
No prob. You can continue to ask around here tho to see if anyone on here has ever done it. You can count on changing out the rad support for sure, even possibly as much as the doors. The problem is going to be the body line in the fenders, it likely won't line up to anything. It all depends how badly you want the look. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Welcome back from the "dark" side, btw.
;)
Post pics of your new ride!
Ya, I've been doing some research and the body lines are completely different. Guess im sticking with the 78 front. Don't know if there were any special models for those years but I'll do some more research. I'm taking it to the scales in full trim first just to see my beginning weight. Then the build begins. Will definitely post pics as i go along.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ya, I've been doing some research and the body lines are completely different. Guess im sticking with the 78 front. Don't know if there were any special models for those years but I'll do some more research. I'm taking it to the scales in full trim first just to see my beginning weight. Then the build begins. Will definitely post pics as i go along.
There were special models in those years, namely the 442 and Hurst Olds. Your best best is to google them in a particular year (they changed from year to year in the 78-80's) and pick the one you like. I changed mine from a '80 Calais to an '80 Supreme. This is the '80 Supreme front on mine.
image.jpg

Depending on your engine and interior options, your weight should be around 3500 - 3600lbs.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
snatch u a 80 clip like rktpwrd^^^ and fit you some 87-91 chevy celebrity composites in place of the 4 sealed beams.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor