78 Malibu's front clip compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannysboo

n00b
Jan 10, 2013
Hey! I was wondering if some one can give me a list of all the front clips that would fit on my 78 Malibu coupe.

I'm going to hunt around some scrap yards and hopefully find an el camino ss front clip ( from what I've read boo's and mino's have identical front ends besides body lines ).

If I can't find a parts mino I'd like to know what my other options are.

I have searched around the web and there seems to be alot opinions and not so many facts.

Also please note if I would need to swap doors or hoods out with any of the front clips.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
The only header panel that will swap right over to your 78 is the newer 82-87 elco/Malibu header panel(I do believe the 78 has some hood-2- header alignment issues,someone will clarify I'm sure)now you can basically swap ANY gbody frontend(Monte,cutlass,regal,go,lemans)but will need to also swap out your hood,fenders,and doors, and if you chose a Monte nose you have the body lines to deal with also.GOOD LUCK finding a "choo-choo"(Monte ss front end) in a salvage yard(quite rare)they sell aftermarket fiberglass "choo-choo" noses complete with everything to install on your bu for around 1500.00 through various vendors(honest charlies,Lauren engineering,etc)although a lol pricey in my opinion this is the best route to go if you want the "ss" nose with the most ease of installation.if interested in a newt header I have one in great shape I can let go for 200.00 shipped.pm me if interested.

Grannysboo

n00b
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I figured finding one in the scrap yard was a bit of a pipe dream but I can cross my fingers.

What I'm looking for is quad head lights and to get rid of the vertical side markers.

I figured a malibu station wagon would make an excellent donor car but they are proving to be more rare than grand nationals ( at least in the alberta ).

I will circulate the junk yards this weekend and hopefully something will catch my eye or I'll have to buck up and shell out cash for a new one.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Check the ads on here and Maliburacing...I'm sure somebody has one for sale, and there seem to be a lot of G bodies in Canada.

I have a loaded one from an 85 Elco, but I'm a LONG ways from you, and I'd be leery of shipping it across the border due to the potential for damage passing through so many hands.

Generally, "front clip" is presumed to be everything ahead of the firewall (fenders, hood, core support, header, bumper), so if you're calling yards, you might ask about header panels, unless I misunderstood what you were wanting.

Grannysboo

n00b
Jan 10, 2013
I will be browsing the ads for sure, thanks for the info.

I meant to say header, that word wasn't in my vocabulary until I read the first post :mrgreen:

A month ago I stumbled upon a malibu wagon with 100,000km for $750, body was rusted but header was intact and engine was clean... sure regret not picking it up now

kelly_w21

Apprentice
Sep 10, 2012
ribbed roof, do you still have the header panel off the 85 elky? is it a choo choo nose or just a regular header panel?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
kelly_w21 said:
ribbed roof, do you still have the header panel off the 85 elky? is it a choo choo nose or just a regular header panel?
Yes, not a choo choo and it needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor