79 cutlass build thread (ALOT OF PICTURES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
i have a sprey gun. but the only problem is i f i paint it out side it will get dust on it and same with the inside they are both very dusty

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
rolled on paint will pick up the dust just the same as sprayed on paint. The HVLP Sprayer helps because it shoots the paint to the surface instead of sprayers which mist the air and the paint falls.

Time for a ghetto spray booth ( like the one linked to on the honda site ) with some tarps or even cheaper get a roll of vapour barrier. Mist down the walls of the booth ( not the ceiling though ) and totally soak the floor with a hose before you roll the car in ( that will help to keep the dust down ). Tack off the car with paint thinner before you paint and off you go. Always do your bodywork outside and away from the area you will use as a spray booth so the sanding dust does not kick up and ruin your paint.

I am not a painter by any means but I grew up around a backyard mechanic and learned a lot watching him "clean-up" and re-sell cars we would pull in for scrap. He would take the motor from one, trans from another, some wheels he saved from another crap car with good tires and then if it needed it he would paint a vehicle in the middle of his 2 car garage stacked on both sides with motors and parts he would save. With this method they would turn out very good ( for a driver ). He always said to use solid and bright colour paints ( white, yellow, tan, blue ) to help hide the shoddy bodywork and any sports where the paint was dry or too thin. Really kinda miss having him around as he was a wealth of self taught knowledge.

1979hurst

Apprentice
Sep 4, 2006
milford, Nebraska
sometimes it's easier to pay a body man that does this stuff everyday! especially if you don't know what your doing!!!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
1979hurst said:
sometimes it's easier to pay a body man that does this stuff everyday! especially if you don't know what your doing!!!

easier yes, inexpensive no.
Would I do it to my Monte or any of the cars in my driveway for that matter; hell no !! But I used to have a beater Tercel that was 3 diff colours so I would have done that, and the courier drivers use this method for their straight trucks around here all the time so their money-maker doesn't look like a POS.

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
havnt been doing much since i stay 2 hours away with my parents during the week for work. and only get to come see my family and the cutlass on the weekend. Im gonna paint it flat black right now. At least till next summer when we move to the city and i can do a good paint job on it. Also just got an 81 malibu for parts with a manual trans that i will be rebuilding during winter. and hopefully get the frame welded before next summer to. ill probably have it insured next summer thou so i can start driving it and look for a sbc 350 or an 383 i could swap in. also with the money ill make selling parts off the malibu ill probably buy more sh*t for the cutlass :D.

vlad

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
That dog made me about s*#t myself from laughing soo much

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
sorry guys its been a while. alot happened since i last updated. i got a house and moved into the city. i got to many projects going all at once so its hard to find time for all of them with work and family etc. right now im swapping a sbc 283 bored 0.60 over with 305 heads into my 89 ford ranger. also trying to get my 4x4 ranger drivable after what my ex gf did to it in the 4 month she drove it.

anyways off to the updates on the cutlass. took the front clip off:

Picture058.jpg

my daughter shelby was helping me:

Picture060.jpg

taking out the old tired 305:

Picture063.jpg

Picture073.jpg

and my fresh rebuilt 4 bolt 350 is in:

Picture093.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture092.jpg

i already took out the front suspension and im ordering tubular upper a arms and im picking up tubular lower a arms from a friend this weekend. so hopefully the front suspension will be done this month. sorry for the slow update but im hoping ill have my other side projects done by the next summer so i can concentrate on the cutlass.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
awsome man, looks like your almost there! you definately did alot of work on it!! if you end up ready around when im going to paint my car maybe we can work something out and rent a booth or something. if i dont do that im going to tarp the sh*t out of my bros garage and wet everything down and do it in there. ideally in the morning on a calm hot day so i can park it in the sun for a few hours and bake the paint a bit. keep it up man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor