79 Grand Prix Dash Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I've watched all the YouTube videos ans searched through my books.

My dashboard is stuck at the top and I can't figure out why.

Of note the 2 screws in the defrost vents near windshield snapped. The heads of the screws are gone.

Is it possible the dashboard itself is simply wedged onto the windshield?

Or am I missing something on the GP dashboard that the MC, Regal, and Cutlass doesn't have?

Is it possible the broken screws referenced above are binding the dash up even though the heads are gone?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
All of the above are possible. Did you get the "L" shaped bracket in the center of the dash? It is fastened at the top of firewall like under the speaker.

Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
All of the above are possible. Did you get the "L" shaped bracket in the center of the dash? It is fastened at the top of firewall like under the speaker.
Two bolts?
I think I know which ones you're talking about. Is it the bracket that has a screw in the bottom near the radio?

I thought it was just a dash bracket and only the screw on bottom near radio actually held the dash in place.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
correct me if I'm wrong,
there are two 10mm bolts at the bottom left and right of the dash, 4 torx or 7mm screws across the top of the dash near the base of the windshield. one bolt 10mm or 7mm, on the bottom of the the "L" bracket just to the right of the radio, the 13mm bolt above the brake pedal. not sure about the gp dash but the cutlass dashes have one last 7mm screw behind the right dash vents.
hope this helps.

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Did you pull the center speaker grille? They is two bolts under there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
theres some concealed screws up along the ac/heat vents up top that are usually the culprits of uncoperative behavior issues with these gp/pontiac dashes.ive removed 27 and counting of these dashes and in my earlier impatient to removal practices,ive even pulled and forcibly ripped/torn these fasteners from their attaching purposes.step back get a wife,girlfriend,(they will never know your profane proclamations are directed towards them,and you get a free rant;))or friend to help if possible,as these dashes do not play nice as the other siblings do,when it comes to removal.good luck!

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
theres some concealed screws up along the ac/heat vents up top that are usually the culprits of uncoperative behavior issues with these gp/pontiac dashes.ive removed 27 and counting of these dashes and in my earlier impatient to removal practices,ive even pulled and forcibly ripped/torn these fasteners from their attaching purposes.step back get a wife,girlfriend,(they will never know your profane proclamations are directed towards them,and you get a free rant;))or friend to help if possible,as these dashes do not play nice as the other siblings do,when it comes to removal.good luck!
Just to be clear, vent work should NOT be coming out along with dash, correct?

Fyi... my heater box is already out

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Vent should be separate.i believe there may be slight variation in the 78-80 and the 81-87 hp dashes.look under ,near e brake cable and door buzz,there is around 6-7 screw/bolts that secure the wiring harness in sheathing that is attached along the top that secures to actual dash and will prevent it from coming out in its entirety...this is where a extra hand is helpful,if not avail you will have to balance the whole assembly forward(trying not to damage the already 30 year old brittle dash)and affix your arm in position to remove the iirc the number 7 or 8 mm bolts,then it should be free and removable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor