'79 Pontiac GTO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Hey GrandAmMan, check out the red '78 on Ebay right now. Kinda rough but still a cool car. Sure wish mine had that steering wheel and console!

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
78lemans said:
Hey GrandAmMan, check out the red '78 on Ebay right now.
I know the reserve, but dont know if I want to drive 20+ hours round trip to go get it.
Bad motor, bad hinges, beat up drivers door, sagging headliner, bad tires, no trim rings, etc....

Pontiac 4 speeds did come with a center counsol, I'll post a picture of mine, in my album.....
Like the Chebbys but shorter towards the front.

What makes you think the 79 is a special car....GTO?
What were the special markings? I put a T/A spoiler on my 78 but that didnt make it a GTO. MI area would have closer ties to the manufacturer, so anything is possible I guess.
I'd like to see some pictures of it if you can get some.
If it is a rare 79 G/A, I know someone that may be willing to go get it. 79 G/P's didnt come with 350's, only 301's and 200 metric trannys.

I would love for you to prove me wrong on this, esp with an opportunity to purchace the car. :shock:

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Went and looked at the GTO last night. Cool yes, but in much worse shape than the last time I saw it and definately NOT worth the $1,000 asking price, even with the supposedly running '79 GP as a parts car. Seller thinks it's really worth something and he's 'just about to pull it inside and start restoring it'. He thinks the floors are rotted out, and he's right, but I don't think he knows that the frame is basically gone from the axle back. Doors are shot, rot-out in door jambs, hood rotted out at front edge, deck lid rotted out under spoiler (if I had to compare it to something it definately looks like a '71-'72 Lemans Sport/T-37 spoiler), frame rotted out more in kickup area behind front wheels. In other words, in really bad shape. The GP was actually worse but had a surprisingly good white/red interior, bucket seats, and console with floor shift.

The seller claims it's got a 350 Pontiac out of an older Catalina. If it had a 400 or 455 then both cars might be worth a grand, but the way they look, I'm gonna pass.

It was pretty dark when I went out there, so no pics yet, but I'm going to try and go back and get a few.

After having looked at the car, I seriously believe it had to have been a dealer-assembled hot rod, kinda like a Yenko Camaro. The GTO sticker emblems on it's nose, front fenders, and deck lid appear the same as a '74 Ventura/GTO. The spoiler looks like early '70s Lemans Sport, and the screaming chicken on the hood looks like it's straight from the T/A parts bin. The only thing I have to suggest it was for sure a dealer 'custom' and not some private owner's creation is the glove box door plaque reading GTO by COE and corresponding Orson E. Coe Pontiac deck lid emblem.

So I'm 99.99% positive it left the factory as a plain 'ol 301 G/A with rallye wheels and a console with bucket seats, but left the dealership as a '79 GTO. But until I can talk to someone who actually worked there back then, I'll never know.

I'll get pictures rounded up GrandAmMan, but I wouldn't reccomend having your buddy drive very far for this vehicle. But I'll keep you posted.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
grandamman: Just saw that pic of the 4-spd. console in the gallery. Thats the same one (at least the one I remember) you could get w/ the Chevy's +4-speed. I guess they just re-used it for them all :)

nice pics! :) I'd like to get a hold of one of those silver bezels, and put that metallic-y looking stuff on it like what the 69-70+ GTOs and the 70s Firebirds had... :twisted:

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Yup, I guess Chebby just copied the Poncho's counsol, them dogs! :shock:

I have a wood grain bezel you can have for shipping$ if you want one. You dont need the silver (79 and 80) if you are just going to cover it up.
Sounds like a lot of work to me though. Can you get the.....machined metal scalloped stuff for that project? We called it prisim tape back in the day.

Do you like my 78 GTO too? :wink:

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
hi i am looking for a speedometer for my 78 lemans with the stainless gauge type and i was googling something about the car and ended up on a wikpidia web site that said the lemans from 1978-1980 that was canadian build was defined as a lemans "gt" can any one verify this

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I just reread your post...I missed the part about Canadian built, so now I would say "doubtful, but possible".

Dec 15, 2009
Orson Coe II worked in the family business in the late 1970's and early 80's before starting his own financial services company.

His contact information is readily available on the internet. Call him to see if he remembers the special Coe product.

If not, try to track down Jim Hayden or John Hayden, both worked at Coe for years and are probably retired now, living near Ionia, which was Coe's original headquarters.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Monte Carlos were built in Oshawa Ontario until the 1981 model year. I have a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix that was built in Ste. Therese Quebec, so there were some A/G body cars built in Canada.

Steve Garver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2009
California
I ALWAYS WANTED TO TURN MY 78 LEMANS INTO WHAT I THINK THE FACTORY MIGHT HAVE DONE IF THEY HAD KEPT THE OPTION, I THINK ITS VERY COOL THAT THERE MAY HAVE BEEN SOME COE GTOs OUT THERE. SOMEONE HAS TO HAVE PHOTOS OF THESE SOMEWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor