80 ElCamino build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
87luxsprt said:
Was the camaro rear. A easy swap? BOLT ON?? Or did u customized it.
Havent gotten that far yet, pulled it off the frame to box frame, cut and weld engine crossmember to fit LS1, replace all bushings, and paint/detail frame and underbody. Also looking at using the camaro instrument cluster with the 155mph speedo and factory tach.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Re: 80 ElCamino build thread Update

After spending a ton of time stripping my parts car of anything that I might be able to use or sell I was finally able to get back on the Camino. Boxed in open sections of frame, cut out notch in crossmember for LS engine not boxed in yet, waiting for my mounts to get here to test fit and make sure the notch does not need to be bigger. Grind, sand, brush entire frame to make ready for POR-15, put on first coat of POR-15.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    765.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 1,219
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 1,222

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Re: 80 ElCamino build thread camaro disc brakes

Got the brakes fitted on the rear, deffinatly not a bolt in swap! Had to do a little blue wrench work, some grinder work, and drill out the bolt holes, but they fit now. Rear locker did not fit, see my other post, if you can use it I will sell or trade for one I can use. On the bright side the brakes worked out good, now just cleaning and painting, then ready for bushings and install. Making steady progress, slow, but steady.

Jimmy

Attachments

• 100_1033.JPG
    100_1033.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 100_1034.JPG
    100_1034.JPG
    629.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 100_1035.JPG
    100_1035.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 100_1037.JPG
    100_1037.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 100_1038.JPG
    100_1038.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 1,077

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Update,
After weeks of cleaning and painting I finally got to do some assembly. Had to build a bracket for the parking brake cables, so they would pull in the right direction. Pressed in all new PST Poly Graphite bushings, front and rear, along with all the steering linkage parts. PST has an awsome master kit! Cut 1/2 of 1 coil from the bottom of the front springs, just trying to make up for the lighter weight of my LS-1. Built a trans crossmember and dropped it in the rolling chassis, it fit like a glove. The alternator pulley is about 1/2 inch from the steering gear. The AC compressor was noisy in the donor car, so knowing I was going to have to replace it I decided to go with a high mount kit( yet to be ordered, suggestions welcome) that got me out of that spot. Bolted on the F-body manifolds, the right side fit without incident, the left side will not fit with the O2 sensor in the factory hole it will have to be moved. The cats will fit in the car prety well, right side hits the lower control arm mount slightly, hoping to heat and bend it to get some clearence. The left side fits without any trouble. Going to plug the factory O2 sensor hole in the left side manifold, and move down the pipe to weld in a new bung. Next is to install the PST body mounts and set the body back on to check clearence in the tunnel and on the AC box. I boxed the open part of the frame on both sides, without leaving a hole to put in the body mount, already checked and it is possible to pull the bottom part of that mount in with a string and get it worked around to bolt it up. Guess I will just get straight tubing and bend my own brake and fuel lines. Time to start thinking about reprograming the ECM, and reworking the factory harness. Pics to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor