80 Malibu V6 to V8 motor mount issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

80maroonbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
ok, so i have been searching this forum section for an hour, and cant find what i need.

i am swapping a V6 for a 350. my question to you all is, is there an easier way to swap the motor mounts than dropping the lower A arms to get to the bolts on the inside of the K member? Chevy for some reason decided to box in the K member to a point that its almost impossible to get to the nuts for the motor mounts. i cant for the life of me figure out why they did it this way. access is VERY limited.
its another days work if it cant be done.
i was just curious if anyone has done this swap without dropping the A arms.
are there any special tools that anyone used, or is it just drop the arms, or fight like hell to get at the bolts.

i have many things that have talked about just swapping motor mounts. but i think people would have mentioned a problem that takes a day to fix. doing this part of the swap is a major speed bump.

any help will be greatly appreciated guys. thanks in advance.

To remove the mounts I would grind the old bolts off and replace them with new grade 8 bolts. I don't remember right off hand but I think they were 3/8 x 1/2 long. You can get in from the front of the crossmember with a box end wrench for the top bolts, for the bottom you can get to it from under the car.

As 81Regal says, if you have a box end wrench, it can be done, you just need to be patient. The only other way I know of, would be to remove the lower A arms, but that would require removing the springs, which is a whole lot more work.

yep cut the original bolts and thats easy. a swivel, some masking tape and some lock washers up thru the gap of the a arm and the crossmember can get those bolts in (i ran the bolts in thru the bottom so i didnt need to worry about starting a thread in a tight space) and honestly i remember thinking it was going to be a pain in the *ss but it went right together for me. the lockwashers worked really well and i didnt even have to worry about holding the bolt inside to my surprise.

I swapped mine yesterday I used vise grips to hold the top nut (because I didn't a second person to hold the nut). and turn the bot from the bottom with a 3/8 swivel with electrical tape wrapped around it and 12 inch locking extension. it took me 30 minutes that included installing the new sbc mounts. to install the new mount I used the swivel to guide the bolts and I put locking washer on the bottom so I didn't have hold the hex head while tighten the bolts from the top.. Get New Hardware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor