81 malibu drive shaft too short

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathproof

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2009
saint louis
i swapped in a 350 /350 setup and a 3.73 posi off a 87 monte. was getting everything put back together and ready to fire up only to realize my stock driveshaft is an 1"1/2 short.

DAMNIT!

The best I remember, there are only 3 differant d'shaft lengths in our cars. The 200-4R with 7.5" rear end, the non overdrive trans with 7.5" rear end, and then the 200-4R with 8.5" rear end.

Due to the rear end, the 8.5" d'shaft is approx 1" shorter than the OD/ 7.5" combo. I think the non overdrive shaft is the longest as the OD trans is longer than the non OD trans.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

THM200, TH-250&350, and 200-4R all use the same driveshaft.

Any '84-'87 Turbo Buick or VIN 9 Olds would have an 8.5" rear, and thus the driveshaft is 1" shorter.

Something is either mounted in the incorrect holes, or you have the incorrect driveshaft.

you guys are awsome, thanks for the info.
i was just ranting really. i have an el camino drive shaft i should be able to cut down.
it just sucks to be in the back yard so much longer.

has any one had this problem before?

i was thingking maybe my motor mounts were too far up, but that dosent make any sense cause then my transmission wouldnt have bolted in properly.

You probably know this but when you install a the driveshaft (assuming you have the correct one) it will look short when you bury the input shaft in the drive shaft in the trans to clear the pinion yoke on the rear end and you have to pull it back to seat it in the pinion yoke. Some of the input shaft is supposed to exposed not totally butted up to the trans, If you already know this then I'll just shut up now 😀 Thats the only thing I can think of.

wade

19cutlass79 said:
You probably know this but when you install a the driveshaft (assuming you have the correct one) it will look short when you bury the input shaft in the drive shaft in the trans to clear the pinion yoke on the rear end and you have to pull it back to seat it in the pinion yoke. Some of the input shaft is supposed to exposed not totally butted up to the trans, If you already know this then I'll just shut up now 😀 Thats the only thing I can think of.

wade

thanks but its sticking out an 1-1/2" not just a little bit.

man i wish it wasnt so hot out and i could try to get something done.

hey guys, lets say somebody put a turbo 400 in the car. that would mean they needed a shorter drive shaft?.
so if i put a turbo 350 in the car i would need a stock drive shaft, right?
so i need to go find a stock drive shaft and my problems are solved?

does that make sense?

deathproof said:
hey guys, lets say somebody put a turbo 400 in the car. that would mean they needed a shorter drive shaft?.
so if i put a turbo 350 in the car i would need a stock drive shaft, right?
so i need to go find a stock drive shaft and my problems are solved?

does that make sense?
By George I think he's got it, Anyways, If that's what happened then you are correct...........I had to get mine cut like an inch or so when I put my TH 400 in my car a few years back....If you put a Th 350 in your car with the 7.5 rear then you would need 52 1/2 " from center of U-joint to center of U-Joint...... Hope this helps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor