81 Monte Carlo Turbo Tech Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2011
Hi all i've got a 81 Monte Turbo i've discovered a pretty good oil leak on the driver side. I believe its the valve cover gasket as the oil is from there down. Haven't had to do any gaskets on this car yet wondering what type of job it is to change the valve gasket and what are some tricks at changing this. It appears i need to remove the carb and intake but not sure what is best to do this gasket. I had planned on removing the motor this winter and doing all gaskets and cleaning up the motor and engine bay so hoping to just do the driver side gasket for now. As i want to enjoy this car the rest of the summer.

turbo81 said:
Hi all i've got a 81 Monte Turbo i've discovered a pretty good oil leak on the driver side. I believe its the valve cover gasket as the oil is from there down. Haven't had to do any gaskets on this car yet wondering what type of job it is to change the valve gasket and what are some tricks at changing this. It appears i need to remove the carb and intake but not sure what is best to do this gasket. I had planned on removing the motor this winter and doing all gaskets and cleaning up the motor and engine bay so hoping to just do the driver side gasket for now. As i want to enjoy this car the rest of the summer.

Valve cover gasket isnt hard at all. I dont think you need to remove the intake and carb, just unbolt and replace 😀 . Do you have some pics of your car? Being that there very rare I've only seen a few.

I'd imagine you would only need to remove the carb and intake to replace a head gasket. A valve cover gasket should be much easier than that (just remove the valve cover), but like most people I've never gotten a good look at a Turbo Monte.

Heres a couple of pics there not the clearest as the valve cover is hard to see. Where you can see the oil tube the valve is right there. Its under the car and intake but everything on this car is extremely compact.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 723
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 723
PITA. Major PITA. Gotta pull off the entire turbo setup, theres around 2 dozen bolts or nuts. Then you pull the turbo, plenum and carb assembly off. Or just take the carb off before, its easier that way. Then buy the expensive fel-pro permadry gaskets, they are the blue neoprene ones. I bought mine at NAPA. They are like $20. Dont buy cork! I did the first time and they leaked like a sive. Make sure the gasket surfaces are clean, there can't be any old silicone. Also, don't use silicone when you put them on either. Make sure you torque them down to the right spec. Follow this and you wont leak any oil out. Ive put 1500 miles on my new set and havnt leaked much at all. Before they POURED.

Also, you will have to order a turbo mounting kit. You will wreck the turbo foot gasket.

You need these 2 kits.

Valve covers- VS50156T
Turbo mounting set-ES72507

And be carefull with the oil drain tube for the turbo, they are aparently available but havn't seen any.

Good luck! 😀

81cutlass said:
PITA. Major PITA. Gotta pull off the entire turbo setup, theres around 2 dozen bolts or nuts. Then you pull the turbo, plenum and carb assembly off. Or just take the carb off before, its easier that way. Then buy the expensive fel-pro permadry gaskets, they are the blue neoprene ones. I bought mine at NAPA. They are like $20. Dont buy cork! I did the first time and they leaked like a sive. Make sure the gasket surfaces are clean, there can't be any old silicone. Also, don't use silicone when you put them on either. Make sure you torque them down to the right spec. Follow this and you wont leak any oil out. Ive put 1500 miles on my new set and havnt leaked much at all. Before they POURED.

Also, you will have to order a turbo mounting kit. You will wreck the turbo foot gasket.

You need these 2 kits.

Valve covers- VS50156T
Turbo mounting set-ES72507

And be carefull with the oil drain tube for the turbo, they are aparently available but havn't seen any.

Good luck! 😀

Thanks for the i've got the good gaskets got them today ordered them on Friday. I just plan on doing the driver side for now to get some driving outta the car for the rest of the year before i do a complete overhaul. Will i need to remove the turbo to get the carb and plate off or will i have to remove the turbo aswell??

I would remove the up and down pipe, the 3 turbo foot bolts, the brackets on the carb plenum, all hoses and pipes, oil drain, the EGR and pull the entire turbo-plenum assembly off. Its easiest to pull the hole thing off rather than parts. You can't get to the bolts that attach the plenum to the turbo with it on. You need the mounting gasket either way, and pulling the entire turbo plenum assembly off is just more straight forward.

BTW, the plenum is the aluminum part that the carb sits on that attaches to the turbo.

When the up and down pipes are off just do the passenger side valve cover while your at it. Its 4 bolts and its off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor