'82 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Uncletruck said:
In 1988 all G bodies made since introduction in '78 were recalled for the rear brake cylinder clips coming loose. The cylinder would then start to move, and wear out the mounting hole in the backing plate. This would eventually cause the cylinder to not line up with the engaging spots on the shoes and blow out. The new type cylinders will straddle around the upper spring mounting pin so the cylinder shouldn't move. Sometimes the backing plate holes are so worn out though you have to replace the plates. (No fun at all.) It's not uncommon to run in to G bodies that did not have the recall work done, just something to be aware of.

-UT-

thanks for the info, i will def keep that in the back of my mind, as far as I could tell the back plate were in very good condition and yes the new cylinders seemed to clip in well.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
backing plates arent that much work (maybe because ive done so many sets)

I use to race, so I've changed about 7 sets of backing plates.
The plates are fairly inexpensive aswell.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Yup looks like I'll be doing the backing plate on my passanger side, this is what im guessing for the work

1. take dif cover off and take off 4 bolts for backplate
2. remove pin bolt
3. slide the pin out without moving the rear end
4. push axle in and remove horseshoe clip
5. pull the axle out and then back plate

am i correct/missing anything

OR

this would be a fantastic option for me since i dont wanna take apart my rear end, get this backing plate from napa, tear off the original backing plae (grinding off)

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... king+Plate

and put on this 2-piece backing plate and not even have to touch the axle

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Aaaah, but that plate has 4 mounting holes, you need a 3 hole mounting plate to fit your axle.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
it says right on advanced auto parts that...that plate fits an 82 Supreme with my 3.8 engine

also you know how parts sites can be, sometimes having the wrong image on or something, i still have yet to look whether its a 3 or 4 bolt so idk

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
whoever designed these 2-piece back plates is an absolute winner, its just like perfect execution of a great idea, if anybody else has these issues, go ahead and spend the extra 40 bucks on these back plates, they are easy as hell of what could be an in depth job for the single piece back plate

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
the cutlass is pretty close to returning to what i like to call the ground, i painted the differential cover and shocks gold to match the wheels and the reoccuring theme of dark red and gold just seems to be working pretty sweet. I need to get one new tire for my car, get it mounted and need to get all my wheels balanced. Probably the last thing i need to do before it goes on the road is grease the joints...getting close feels good

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
got my license today, the cutty is going on the road monday or tuesday, finally

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
the cutlass is finally on the road, the 3.8 is obviously pathetic off the line but 40-50 mph is pretty decent and corners not too bad, its a head turner anyways

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i estimated my gas mileage today, im looking at 20-21 mpg, definitely pretty nice for an 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor