82 Regal Wagon Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
Well guys here it is. My 82 Regal Estate Wagon that I bought somewhat by accident. I purchased it as a 70k mile shell with a recent motor swap. A friend of the family had purchased a 400 pontiac from my brother and swapped it and a new TH350 into this car and was his daily driver to work and back. I had been looking for a good car to build a bracket car out of and this one fell into my lap, funny how that happens some times isn't it? But anyways this build thread will probably take place over the next 2 months from start to finish so stay up with me. As we stand now, the 400 is coming out. My father who has a good stash of pontiac parts, is doing the motor for me. It's not going to be anything super radical. A 455 pontiac, with 062 heads, flat top pistons, 0 deck height, gasket matched heads and intake, camshaft is still undecided, and a 750 edelbrock becuase its whats laying around. Let me state the fact that I am in college and
graduating in May and am BROKE. This is a budget build. So I guess I will start and post a few pictures and let everyone know what has happened up to this point. After buying the car I figured I would drive it to school and back. It was a fun car to drive and you can't beat driving any good gbody car. But, gas became a little much and with that 25-30 minute one way drive everyday, got tired of feeding the beast. So it was back to the 2.2 turbo s10 and good gas mileage and the car project began. On the first weekend home the interior did a disappearing act. The only thing I left in was the dash and the front door panels. I haven't yet picked up a bucket seat but a good friend owns a body shop and has a junkyard and told me to go grab whatever I wanted and don't worry about it. On weekend two the transmission came out. It was a reman unit and how it shifted never suited me. So I ordered the Fairbanks performance transmission reprogramming kit and off to the valve body I went. There kit offers the ability to go full manual which removes the detent cable and no more modulator and its 58 dollars, I like the price. This past weekend I got the transmission back in the car with my promatic ratchet shifter(I got for christmas) and tried it out. Seems to work very well now and its full manual. The battery also moved to the rear of the car and is properly mounted. This past week I was strolling through the junkyard and found a wrecked g body laying on its roof. Not giving it to much thought I just walked on but something hit me as strange. Then I noticed it had a 9" rear some one had fabbed for it and after alot of measuring it looked like everything was right. So a deposit has been left on it and I am going back to get it my first day off before school starts back up. In the mean time dad's slowly chugging away at the engine. The crank has been cleaned up and the oil holes chamfered. As that moves forward, I will get more pics as I go. So stay tuned, I have alot more to do......
This is how it looked when I bought it minus the torque thrusts, I had them laying around :)
0813071739.jpg

The rear end I just picked up, gonna need some cleaning but I will go through it, its already a posi or spool with 5 something gears in it, shoud get me through the 1/8th ok..
diff3.jpg

diff.jpg

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you found a g-body 9" just sitting in a junkyard? you suck!! :lol:
sounds like it'll be nice.

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
Believe me, I was SHOCKED someone would junk one and leave the rear in it. It was obviously someones former race car that got put in a wall somewhere and from the looks of the quarter panels I am guessing dirt track car.

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
That is kind of a cool car. Normally I wouldn't look at wagon twice but there is something about the car that catches your eye and it is cool to be different sometimes.I heard wagons make great drag cars because of the weight transfer. Should be a neck snapper with the right motor in it.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Ive always liked built wagons. Just something about stomping everything in a freakin wagon, especially the ricers, just seems awesome.

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
You can't beat free weight in the right places :) and for racing purposes the roof rack is staying on there! You see alot of Malibus done but not hardly any Buicks. To be honest, I don't know of but about one other Regal Wagon I have ever seen in person. I am a fan of the Buicks front clip design and would actually like to find the nose from an 87 because its my absolute favorite..

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
Thought I would update with some pics of some recent parts I got from a buddy who's dad isnt in the racing stuff anymore and had some stuff laying around when cleaning out the garage. So we traded parts along the way and this is what he brought me....

Richmond PRO Gear 4.56 for the 9", its been 8.30 in the quarter, dont think I am gona hurt it :)
ring.jpg

And a Pimp VDO tach..
235027347_787722341_0.jpg

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
So off to the junkyard me and two friends went today to finally pull the 9". Well apparently the weather wasn't looking so good. It was 24 degrees and blowing snow hard. So we went anyway. And you can see from the looks on their faces how they felt about me dragging them to the junkyard this morning.
Dustin was thrilled...
dustin.jpg

Lee hates the cold and reminded us many times along the way..
lee.jpg

I am happy to be back inside in the heat....
me.jpg

And the reason we went packed in the bed of the truck...and the snow on everything in the bed is from us just opening the bed cover long enough to shove the rear in the truck, it was coming down....
9inch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor