83-86 Hurst,442 OEM Tailpipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldsDad

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Mar 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan 49102
I am looking for Stainless steel Tailpipes for my 86 442 I would like the same look as factory Tail pipes. Looking for a retailer that has them for sale with good feedback. 2.5 inch or 3 would work I am not sure if 3inch is possible just looking for some help Thanks

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
i recall talking to someone on Malibu racing years ago that use to work there and said those German made benders will bend those in 304 if you asked.he said they're good product.
304 is superior to 409 SS. Any day of the week. I'm talking stainless types, not engines. :) This is not to say 409 is bad. It's better than steel or aluminized steel in the long run. If you don't mind the price difference and can get it in 304, do it.

Stainless is not all created equal. 409 is what you will get most of the time with stainless exhausts, ulness otherwise specified. IT WILL RUST in the snowbelt and if driven on salty roads, although not as fast as steel. 304 might discolor with heat, but that's about it. If you don't drive it in the weather or on salted roads, 409 should be ok. OTOH, 304 has about twice as much chromium and a buttload more nickel content. And pricier. Easiest way to tell the difference is stick a magnet to it. If it sticks, it's 409. If not, it's 304.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
304 is superior to 409 SS. Any day of the week. I'm talking stainless types, not engines. :) This is not to say 409 is bad. It's better than steel or aluminized steel in the long run. If you don't mind the price difference and can get it in 304, do it.

Stainless is not all created equal. 409 is what you will get most of the time with stainless exhausts, unless otherwise specified. IT WILL RUST in the snowbelt and if driven on salty roads, although not as fast as steel. 304 might discolor with heat, but that's about it. If you don't drive it in the weather or on salted roads, 409 should be ok. OTOH, 304 has about twice as much chromium and a butt load more nickel content. And pricier. Easiest way to tell the difference is stick a magnet to it. If it sticks, it's 409. If not, it's 304.
100%. that's why the OP should inquire about them making a 304 version.he said they can do it there but they usually don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor