84-87 Part Compatability With 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
Hi again.

Yes the noob has yet another question. I am looking to repair the front end of my 81 Buick Regal. I am wondering if a front header panel from a 84-87 Buick Grand National will fit my 81 Regal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, very much.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The 84 to 87 header panel will fit but you will need 84 to 87 bumper fillers though. They are different by the grill and carry different part # from GM.

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
81Regal said:
The 84 to 87 header panel will fit but you will need 84 to 87 bumper fillers though. They are different by the grill and carry different part # from GM.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help. Also, another thing I was wondering is how much trouble would I have to go through to mock this carbureted 3.8 into a 3.8 turbo, but while keeping it carbureted. My rwhp goal is around 300-350.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It will require a total rebuild, forged pistons and a different crank. IMO you would be better off finding a 86 or 87 intercooled 3.8 or a 4.1 and add a turbo to it.
If you are serious about going turbo check out Turbobuick.com

81 Regal Man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2011
Culpeper, VA
81Regal said:
It will require a total rebuild, forged pistons and a different crank. IMO you would be better off finding a 86 or 87 intercooled 3.8 or a 4.1 and add a turbo to it.
If you are serious about going turbo check out Turbobuick.com

Ok cool. Thanks, man. I will look into that. I will do my best to find one of those engines but I am not sure how much luck I will have. there are only 4 (Including mine) registered 81-87 Buick Regals in my entire county. Mine is the only one still packing the original 231 V6. One has a fully built 455, another has a mildly tuned 350, and the other (Supposedly) has a 596 crate engine. So yea, other 231s are kind of hard to come by around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor