84 Regal Fan Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Just use a small wrench and hand tighten. 18lb-ft isn't much. A little loctite is probably a good idea.

Sounds good. I will use my shorty Snap-on ratchet (3 or so inches in length). I will put a drop of Linseed Oil on each bolt first. Its like nail polish and other substitutes for threadlockers. Thanks !!!!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
For smaller than 12mm head bolts I use a little 1/4 in drive ratchet, now. I've snapped off too many bolt heads.

Reactions: 1 user

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
For smaller than 12mm head bolts I use a little 1/4 in drive ratchet, now. I've snapped off too many bolt heads.

***UPDATE*** OK the new fan clutch is in. Did not need any thread locker like linseed oil because the new clutch came with lock washers that did the job. I used my vintage Snap-on Inch lb. torque wrench. Even though it only went up to 150 inch lbs. I got it tight enough (guessing around 160 inch lbs.) which is close to 14 Ft. lbs.. I maxed it out and made sure they were all snug with the stubby Snap-on 3/8" ratchet. Did not want to over tighten them and crack the cast metal. The nuts that mount on the motor pulley were also just snug when The Buick Dealer replaced my water pump last month. So that is how I put them back on, tight enough but not gorilla tight. Drove it and the water temp light no longer comes on so far.

Now the fan seems tighter when cold as opposed to when the original clutch was on - the fan spun way too easy. The old fan clutch was the original that was 36 years old. The fan blades were covered in a greasy filmy oil and black soot. That tells me the fluid in the clutch reservoir leaked out causing it to fail. I don't know why the Buick Dealer did not notice it when he removed it last month to change the water pump. I would have gladly had them replace it then. Anyway it's done and I did not even have to remove the upper clam shell of the fan shroud. Plenty of room to take it out. Oh and I had to use a vintage Snap-on 1/2" box wrench to clear the gap where the nuts tighten to the water pump pulley. My other brand did not fit because the thickness of the wrench was too much. Thank God for vintage Snap-on tools. Less metal thickness because the steel is superior. Makes getting into tight places possible and so much easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor