84 regal won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
Can someone help me I have a 1984 Buick regal V6 3.8 that I've been trying to start for the pass couple of weeks and just can't get it to start. The engine turns but it wont start. I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wire, cap and rotor ignition control module, I have check for spark. The starter is good. Since I could not get it to start and I thought it was the engine starting to freeze I changed the engine with another that I had. now I still can't get it to start . Any suggestion of what to check

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
yyou have spark? do you have fuel? sometimes the filter can get clogged...do you know if your car has a hidden kill switch that u dont know aboout? lol and have u checked if your getting enough air :wink: jk im sure thats fine and is it a ccc? also check your timing

Diego84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
Yes I have spark.yes I have fuel I've try even using starting fluid and no start.it did had an alarm but it was only connected to the lights. No kill switch. Took the old alarm off.what's ccc and doesn't the car need to be on to check the timing. Also today while trying to started I can't hear the clicking noise from the carburetor when the ignition key is on.

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
ccc is computer control carb. That clicking noise in the carb is the fuel mixture sensor it is on the top left of the carb in the front. Have you taking the ignition module back off and have it checked again. I should there at autozone and had them test for before one was good.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
What he meant by timing is that, if the distributor is not installed properly, it's not going to run. You need to determine TDC on cylinder one, and then make sure that the rotor is pointing to the corresponding ignition wire. Also not a bad idea to make sure that the firing order is set properly. If you've set the rest up properly, and you're getting fuel, she should fire up.

Diego84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
I fixed the. TDC timing and checked for the firing order and its all good but the engine still wont star. Any other sudhestions

Diego84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
So i finally got it to start. It turns out that i had the spark plugs wires connected wrong at the cap. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor