84 SS Vacuum Lines, Where do they go?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Hello everyone, I made a rookie mistake and did not note the location of every vacuum line on my 84 SS. It is all original with all the smog still on it. Below are (3) lines/openings I have not clue where they go. I found the smog emissions/vacuum line routings but no of these are seen.

1. On the back of carberator (Rochester) right below and towards the passenger side on the big line that goes to the brake booster there is a small nipple, what does that connect to? See picture.

2. On the back of the intake, there a threaded "nipple" with (2) outlets. The outlet going straight up I know goes down to the transmission, however the second outlet again no clue where it goes to. See picture.

20200806_190933.jpg

3. From underneath the brake booster there is a bundle of wiring harness & out of that there is what looks like a vacuum line, again don't know where this goes. I think it's for the cruise control which I dont have but maybe someone can confirm.

20200806_192037.jpg

Thanks in advance

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Not all ports are used. The empty ports listed are manifold vacuum sources if I recall correctly. They have vacuum at idle. A ported or timed vacuum source will not.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
At least one of them is the vacuum source for the cabin HVAC, that is heating, ventilation, A/C. If you pull the heat control head out of the dash, you will likely find a whole nest of those vacuum lines. Another one is likely to be located in the T-stat housing. That is actually a vacuum switch that is fed continuous vacuum and, as the internal element absorbs heat it opens and closes the other ports and directs vacuum to and through them to various locations. There is another vacuum port that attaches to the snout on the stock air cleaner and operates the flapper valve in it. The ECU may also receive vacuum driven signals via devices known as VOES or vacuum operated electrical switches. Can't think of any others right now. Most of that rat's nest of vacuum plumbing had been disabled or turfed when I bought my '85 and I only replaced the minimum amount of it needed to operate the HVAC and distributor. Depending on where you live and what laws exist that govern smog and sniffer tests for older vehicles, plus how far towards stock you are planning to go, you might want to score a factory service manual and use it to figure out what goes where.

Nick

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I run my hvac vacuum source from that rear carb port to the two port vacuum ball with a one way check valve. Works great. Purple line goes to the small nipple on the ball.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The small barb by the brake booster is for the vacuum sensor. On a 84, it will be a black box with 3 wires mounted on the passenger side wheel well.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Thank you all for the replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor