85 cutlass 442 carb problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get code 13 - oxygen sensor circuit
Probable cause > sticking TPS, poor electrical connection, open or short in circuit, defective o2 sensor, defective computer.

i spray misted water all around the distributor and wiring area and didnt see anything.
no problems driving today ( 25 mins @ 11am. 25 mins at 330pm. and 20 mins at 630 pm) starting the car this morning, let it warm up for 9 mins, kicking it off high idle made HORRIBLE idle and it killed shifting into reverse. restarted it, got it out, was a little"angry sounding" the first min. or two then was "fine". 3rd start at 545pm gave HORRIBLY ROUGH IDLE, i had to move it a couple feet around the drive for a minute. then 45 mins later i start it again to take out for a cruise, and after starting this time the idle was perfect.

fuel filter was replaced when i used a rebuild kit on the carb less than a year ago. wires going to plugs were changed within 2 years. spark plugs all changed in much less than a year.

will update more if i get new vacuum hoses. also i have been considering putting on a non computer controlled carb and distributor for the sake of being easier to maintain

Also moisture could be getting in the distributor and frying out the ignition module.

I'd bet wet ignition, pull the distributor cap and look for moisture and green crap on the contacts, let me know what you find.

it needs a timing chain the 307ci olds motors have like some kind of coating on the timing chain and it makes the engine run quiter but they dont work for very long maybe 700000 miles it probably jump time and it could use a tune up. put a new timing chain it will get its power back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor