85 Monte SS ??Lowering and wheels??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2014
I recently inherited my Father in laws 85 Monte Carlo. He was unable to finish it before he got sick and passed. I have made it a mission of mine to complete the car as he would have liked and give to my wife. I am wanting to drop it 2" ( I assume spindles in front and blocks in back) I have never dropped a Monte. Plenty of trucks however. Anyhow wanting to replace the 15" AR Torque Thrust with 17" wheels and tires but fill the wheel wells. If anyone may have some links or advice I would really appreciate it. Oh by the way..great site!

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
The front can be lowered 2" with shorter springs or drop spindles. The rear can only be lowered by using shorter springs. Since it has a triangulated four link rear suspension and uses coil springs not leaf springs blocks can't be used.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Welcome ashnic. We'd love to see some pics of you project. Maybe start a build thread.

You'll find that there are tons of options out there. Be warned; lowering leads to brake upgrades, and sway bar upgrades, and gear changes, and engine builds, and so on...

ashnic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2014
Thanks for the info on the rear suspension..I have not even crawled under yet..my son and I are very excited on getting started. We changed all the fluids and did a little tune up before the real cold stuff set in. We got about 5" of snow last evening so it may be a bit before we pull it out of the garage and snap some pics but I do like the idea of build thread..Thanks again..

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
also, depending on the way you going to use the car, a lot of moog springs , some Fbody ones, can swapped in / cut to lower. or spend the $ and buy a complete kit from one of the site sponsors. I have some 02 fbody 17" Z28 rims i'm going to use( with back spacer for now).have 86's 16'' on now. btw, welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 763

ashnic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2014
I think I have decided what I would like to do to get started...I am thinking 2" (drop spindle) up front and want to drop the rear as well..would like a hint of rake on the car. 17" wheels(billet unsure of style). What size tires would fit ballpark?

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I personally run 285/40ZR17's in the rear and 245/45ZR17's in the front. Lowering mine 3" in the front and 2" in the rear as soon as it warms up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor