442 86 442 Chrome Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020
That is your Manifold Absolute Pressure, or MAP for short. Should have only 1 vacuum hose to it, and the wiring you see there. Your ECM needs this. Part of the computer system to control emissions properly.
Thank you for that info!

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020
FYI- although it's a tad hard to tell, I believe you have an incorrect year "Oldsmobile" emblem on your trunklid under your 442 decal. I'm guessing it's either a newer year than 88 or from a different model. If you need one, I have NOS ones for $35 plus shipping. Not a Chinesium knock off.

Should be a bit more raised in appearance, although not quite as pronounced as the front bumper emblem. GM p/n 20000969. It has the open leg "m" in the center.
View attachment 142262

Should look more like this when installed:

View attachment 142260
I think it's the same but mine is just dirty. I will clean it up a bit and take a better photo to determine if it's the correct emblem.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think it's the same but mine is just dirty. I will clean it up a bit and take a better photo to determine if it's the correct emblem.
Agreed. It could just be the angle of the picture. It's just a little pet peeve of mine to see people just slap any old thing on a car to "restore" it without doing any research or listening to "experts" who are anything but experts. Not saying you did anything, because you just recently bought the car.

Especially peevish for me is the emblems and decals since there's so many original examples to research. I've seen the wrong emblems used, wrong placement of decals/emblems, the door decals used on the trunk and front bumper, which are huge in comparison to what the originals would be, and the bumper and trunk decals used on the doors, which are tiny in comparison. To each their own, but then they use terms like "factory original" or "restored" when it's just their custom adaptation.

Reactions: 1 user

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020

Attachments

• IMG_6676.jpg
    IMG_6676.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6677.JPG
    IMG_6677.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6678.jpg
    IMG_6678.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 107

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020
FYI- although it's a tad hard to tell, I believe you have an incorrect year "Oldsmobile" emblem on your trunklid under your 442 decal. I'm guessing it's either a newer year than 88 or from a different model. If you need one, I have NOS ones for $35 plus shipping. Not a Chinesium knock off.

Should be a bit more raised in appearance, although not quite as pronounced as the front bumper emblem. GM p/n 20000969. It has the open leg "m" in the center.
View attachment 142262

Should look more like this when installed:

View attachment 142260
How does it go on?

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020
That is your Manifold Absolute Pressure, or MAP for short. Should have only 1 vacuum hose to it, and the wiring you see there. Your ECM needs this. Part of the computer system to control emissions properly.
Thank you...that was helpful.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How does it go on?
Like the decals, it's peel and stick. From the pictures, it is the correct emblem, and it appears to be in the correct spot. However, it's very weathered (plus you may want to check that area between the back window and trunk- it appears to be a bit rusty in front of the trunklid gasket in that area). There's about 3/16" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the 442 decal and the emblem.

In this case, it appears also that at least the trunklid has been repainted. The decal picture appears there's "ghosting" of an old 442 decal in that spot, just slightly moved over from the current decal. Which means that if the previous owner(s) removed the emblem, they may have reattached it via other means. Which means it might be risky to remove. I don't know.

If everything seems normal as far as removing the emblem, I would take measurements from the bottom of the trunk lid edge from the bottom and from the taillight side edge. Make a crude sketch if necessary. The point is, normally when redoing an emblem/decal after repainting, you put the trunk emblem on first, then the GM 442 decal has a cutout in it to automatically center and space the 442 decal above the Oldsmobile emblem. But in your case, you'd have to use the decal as your anchor point. I found an old post that may give you some guidance.

You can see the smaller 442 emblem with the pre-cutout for going over the Oldsmobile emblem, whether it was front bumper or rear bumper.

442decals0401.jpg

If everything looks like a go, peel off the old emblem, and use whatever adhesive remover to carefully get rid of whatever double sticky tape residue was left. Make sure not to get into the 442 decal area because it will remove the decal. Detail and carefulness matters here. Clean area with an alcohol wipe to make sure there's no grease, dirt, wax or oil on the paint in the emblem area.

Use the measurements from that old post I dug up and align the emblem up as best you can WITHOUT pulling the plastic off the adhesive yet. I have used pointy dry erase markers to trace around emblems on the paint of the car to align things like that, to give an outline to go by once I was ready to stick it down. Although your results may vary. Wouldn't recommend regular magic markers though. Or you could just get some 1/4" tape, line it up under the "442" and go straight across. Then center and line up the top of the "Oldsmobile" emblem to give it a 1/4" space under the 442 and peel off the backing and stick it down.

Many ways to skin this cat.

Erika Lee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2020
Thanks 69Hurstolds. You are correct on the RUST at the rear of trunk but no holes and under the rear drivers side reverse light. This car sat for a lot of years. The vacume lines were disintegrating. The oxygen sensor was rusted out ,along with the fuel line from pump to carb. A new gas tank was put in it.
The car has been spot painted in 4 spots and will have to be wet sanded. The interior is real nice and had original floor mats. The radio and antenna actually work. I would be happy to buy the emblem from you and would also like to get a new front bumper emblem ,as it looks the same.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Front bumper emblem is a bit different. 22510798. It's a bit more raised and pronounced, and the "m" has a solid black background. Plus it has 2 push on mounting clips for the pins. It's self aligning because it's not a stick on emblem. It takes a little effort to remove the clips without breaking the pins. Look up underneath the bumper and you can see the pins/clips coming through the back of the front fascia. I've actually pulled down on them and "unscrewed" them. I've also broken off my share.

s-l640.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor