86 Grand Prix frame repair advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Hello everyone. New to the forum. About 2 weeks ago I bought a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix to replace my 84 which is so badly rusted that it's not worth doing. I was going to restore it until I saw how badly the rear of the frame was rusted when doing a 4 wheel brake job last fall. The one I just bought is hugely better but it does have the frame rot at the very end of the frame rails on both sides. It's in its early stages so now is the best time to take care of it before it gets worse. The trunk floor is in good shape with the exception of a small (about 4" square hole) rusted thru the trunk floor just behind the left rear wheelhouse. Seems that this is a very typical place for that to happen first. So I bought the frame rail repair kit from Conrad Lozier based on recommendations by so many members posts here. It's a nice kit and I'm happy with the purchase. However, there are a few pieces that don't come with the kit and that's what I want to ask about. First, I will need 4 rubber mounts. Is there anywhere I can get those without buying the whole frame mount kit or without paying $30 apiece. I've seen them on eBay but it seems pretty high for just a piece of rubber. Maybe someone who bought a frame mount kit but only used some of them? Also, aren't there supposed to be some washers too? How many do I need and what size? The frame mount illustration does not show them.

Anyway, the rest of the car is in really good shape. No dents or dings or any evidence that this car was ever in an accident. The bumpers are beautiful and still have the VIN number etched on them so these are its originals. Bottoms of the quarters are not rusted nor are the fenders where the wheel lip molding attaches (another typical place). Bottoms of the doors are rusted though, such that the door skin is seperated from the inner shell. Was looking for a full length patch panel for that but the only thing I've found so far is a piece of sheetmetal being sold by one of the aftermarket companies which is basically no different than if I bought a piece of sheetmetal and cut it down to size. Anything out there already have formed edges? Or maybe doors from somewhere out west/south? They are getting more rare and the prices are not cheap when you can find them.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

PS.. I will be swapping the engine and trans from the 84 into the 86 since the 86 has the 231 CID (3.8 liter) engine which has well known issues and is not very good for performance. The 84 has the 305 CID with TH350 and only 95K original miles on it.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that Conrad offered trunk floor repair pieces, and rear body mounts (I think they were actually converted hockey pucks), as well as the hardware as an option that would go along with his rear frame repair rails. I know that he's clearing out the last of his parts now, as he's not actually making the repair rails anymore. Does he not offer the trunk repair pieces or rear body mounts anymore? Has he run out of stock on those pieces? I talked to him at a swap meet a year or 2 ago, and I know that his price for a complete kit, with all of the bits and pieces, was pretty reasonable.
I'd also be curious to know your location.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
If its any help at all I bought a set of floor pan repair pieces from Conrad this past spring just in case mine is bad when I get around to pulling the frame. He has some pics up on his website as well
http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that Conrad offered trunk floor repair pieces, and rear body mounts (I think they were actually converted hockey pucks), as well as the hardware as an option that would go along with his rear frame repair rails.
Yea the do/did. I picked up a set about 7-10 years ago & they came with the hockey pucks & inch hardware.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
I'm in the Chicagoland area...south suburbs. I talked to Conrad a few times by email before I bought the frame repair kit. He did mention that he no longer has the mounts. Didn't ask him about trunk floor repair patch though. I'm not too worried about that since I have good experience fashioning repair pieces but I may check that out and save myself a little work. How about washers for the mounts? Anyone know how many are needed and the size? And thanks for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor