86 Monte Carlo charging and cluster issue

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
My Monte Carlo LS was a fuel injected 4.3. I put my 350 in with a known good alternator and did my swap to ss gauges which I am still working some bugs out. I noticed there is no charge light bulb. When I fire it up the voltage gage stays at battery voltage and the alternator does not charge.

What excites the alternator to make it charge since there is no bulb. Does the brown wire go back to gauge. My Cutlass has gauges and a charge light and every older car I've had, had a charge light. I even read on the Malibu racing cluster conversion that it says to unhook the brown wire from the alternator

Also when the key is on, the tach sets to 0 but when fires it spins all the way around to a 5 o'clock position . Tried with a filter and without and no change

Any ideas

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So I'm going in the right direction, the warning light cluster was swapped for a gauge cluster. The factory gauge Chevy's had a brown resistor wire running from the C100 to the orange wire in the ignition switch plugs to replicate the resistance the volt light's bulb gave. An option is to repurpose the Check Engine light into the volt light & all could be good. If you still have the #25 circuit wire in the cluster plug , just depin it & move it to the spot where the #419 circuit brown/white stripe wire is & then that will convert it the volt light. To be honest, when I first converted my dash I never knew this & never ran into any charging issues. I don't understand why Chevy's never had an independent volt light like Pontiac & Olds had.

Reactions: 2 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So I'm going in the right direction, the warning light cluster was swapped for a gauge cluster. The factory gauge Chevy's had a brown resistor wire running from the C100 to the orange wire in the ignition switch plugs to replicate the resistance the volt light's bulb gave. An option is to repurpose the Check Engine light into the volt light & all could be good. If you still have the #25 circuit wire in the cluster plug , just depin it & move it to the spot where the #419 circuit brown/white stripe wire is & then that will convert it the volt light. To be honest, when I first converted my dash I never knew this & never ran into any charging issues. I don't understand why Chevy's never had an independent volt light like Pontiac & Olds had.
When I get back to the car this week I will try that and see what happens. My number 25 is still in the harness as the diagram shows it in there . I did depin the 419 as I took the computer out and didn't want the check engine light on all the time

Reactions: 1 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Found the brown wire had been cut under the brake booster. I soldered them back together and alternator charges now. Will probably order another tach eventually as I believe it is a tach issue

Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Found the brown wire had been cut under the brake booster. I soldered them back together and alternator charges now. Will probably order another tach eventually as I believe it is a tach issue
There used to be articles in hotrag magazine lol about adding a resister or diode to that light wire trrminal essentially converting to a 1 wire altonator info probly online

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor