'86 Monte Carlo SS from the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Wow all your cars are beautiful man that Corvette is SHARP, nobody will be mad if you talk about other kinds of cars besides G-bodies as long as you don't do it in the brand specific areas. I probably talk about my 74 Firebird more than I talk G-bodies I think. :wink:

I can't believe that it only costs 1500-2000 to ship a car to Holland I mean a flight to Europe can be that much. Thanks for the info I'll definitely be bringing my cars with me if I ever moved to Europe. :lol:

Whats strange to me is my cousin sold a 1970 Plymouth Superbird to a guy in South America I think it was Argentina or Brazil... The car was a mint condition low miles matching numbers show car and it got abandoned at the docks and never shipped. You'd think after paying all that money for a rare mint condition car you'd pay the couple thousand dollars to get it shipped. :shock:

DutchSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2011
the Netherlands
OK, I didn't mention the aditional costs and taxes......

- The $1000 to $2000 for shipping is for transport in the US to the harbor, loading the container and the boat to Rotterdam only (maybe including some basic insurance).
- The agent of the transport company over here needs to eat too: €500 for unloading the car and guiding the car through customs.
- Then the Dutch governement wants it's share as well: Import duty is 10% of the value of the car + the cost of shipping and insurance. VAT is 19% of the value of the car + the cost of shipping and insurance + import duty.
Yes, we pay tax over tax...... (VAT over import duty).
-Then you need to register the car at the Dutch equivalent of the DMV. They will check the car first and stamp the VIN in the chassis: €200 + €40 for the license plates.
- The last one is a registration tax. This tax is based on the original sales price of the car and the age. If the car is 25 years or older, this tax is €0 (zero).

So based on a 25 year old car with a value of e.g. $8000, shipping + insurance $1600 and €1=$1,40, it will be about:
$8000 (value of the car)
$1600 (shipping + insurance)
$ 960 (import duty 10% of $9600)
$2006 (VAT 19% of $10560)
$ 700 (€500 handling in Holland)
$ 336 (€240 DMV check + license plates)

This makes a total of $13.602,- (€9716), so all together I'm not sure if it is cheap.........

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Yeah, no that's not cheap... :rofl:

I should have figured it's not that easy... Because it's like that when they import cars here from Japan or Germany. I know a guy who is big into Japanese cars and he bought a mid 90's I dunno 95 or 96 I guess Nissan R33 Skyline from a guy in Japan and had it shipped to California. He bought the car for I think $9,000 but by the time he got it from Japan to California and then again shipped from California all the way to Pennsylvania, I'm pretty sure he had spent over $20,000+ for the car with all the taxes, import fee's, and shipping.

And then the kicker was, the car got stolen. :shock:

DutchSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2011
the Netherlands
Then I hope he had a good insurance :mrgreen:

The figures above are not randomly choosen of course....... $13.600 is a lot of money, but when you look for a Monte Carlo SS in Europe, you don't have much choice.

montecarloss_europe.png

E.g. the middel one
The price is $14.000, it's not original and worse, it is from '87 and therefore it will never be tax-free anymore over here. This means road-tax of $1100/y.

When you want to drive something special, you have to be willing to take some risks by buying a car from far away.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
i too am new to the boards...nice pick up on the monte...that's a south atlanta staple you've gotten your hands on bro..enjoy!!

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Oh wow... 1,100 a year holy crap and then with gas prices over there on top of that. :shock:

I thought when you said you weren't going to register the car until next year to avoid fee's I figured it was like over here. In most states in the USA most cars of a certain age don't have to get emissions inspected anymore and your registration can be switched to antique or classic status and your insurance drops significantly. But I was thinking you went through all the trouble of bringing a 25 year old car across the Atlantic and then not drive it, just to avoid the $25 dollar emissions exam and get a couple hundred dollar break on your insurance? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but now it's starting to make a lot more sense. :rofl:

I know I said it before but your Monte is just plain sweet, whether it was cheap or not I think it's worth it. It makes the car more special that it's in the Netherlands, but Netherlands or not it's a beauty I'd love to have it myself. :wink:

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Welcome, Antoon.
Thats a great looking car you have. 8)
I live in England and we too have a small but dedicated American car scene. I live near the channel port of Dover and see a lot of American cars and vans on Netherlands and Belgian plates.
Do you have many shows in Holland?, I have been to a few in Belgium, Sweden has the honour of hosting the biggest American show outside the USA (the Vasteras Power Meet), I've never been there because of the cost involved.
We have several shows each year, if you ever want to attend one you would be made very welcome by the friendly enthusiasts who put on the shows.

DutchSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2011
the Netherlands
@kornball426: Sorry, I have been unclear again :D

The Dutch government needed money so they stopped the '25 year old car, tax-free' rule. The date is Jan. 1st 2012. At this date all pre '87 cars are 25 years old and therefore tax-free.
This means that cars with an date of first registration after Dec. 31 1986 never will become tax-free. The road tax in Holland is based on the weight of a car and I guess for a Monte this is $1.100/y.

Therefore I have been looking for a '86 (or earlier) model. Those cars will still become tax-free. This makes '86 and older cars very desirable and '87 and younger very undesirable.

@rustyroger & Robert: Thanks. Nice to see that there are more European G-body drivers here :D

About meetings in the Netherlands, please take a look at www.v8meetings.nl for the agenda of 2011. From April until September you can visit meetings every weekend.
Normally I only visit one big meeting per month. I have posted two links with pictures (just under the picture of my '92 Eldorado on page 1).

dutch bu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
vlaardingen "the netherlands"
Mooie bak Antoon..
Altijd wel een fan geweest van deze ss uitvoering..
Veel fun ermee..
En wel grappig om hier weer een ollander tegen te komen..
Grtz Vin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor