86 Regal, from 60/40 to buckets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromemoly4130

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2009
┌∩┐(○_○)┌∩┐
I would like to switch out my 60/40 bench seats out for a set of buckets. I have already got the bucket seats out of a Monte Carlo SS and I just figured that they would be a direct bolt in since the 60/40's had 2 tracks for each side. After trying to fit the passenger side bucket to its set of tracks I noticed the tracks bolt holes were wider than the buckets. I measured the the tracks bolt holes which are 14-1/2" from side to side where as the buckets bolt holes measure 13-1/2" but they do measure the same if you measure them from the front holes to the back bolt holes which is exactly 14". So from the front to back they will fit just fine but there about 1" too wide to fit one another.
Anybody ever try to swap these out before? Maybe encounter this exact same thing?
Not sure what I have to do to get them to fit, maybe modify the brackets and try to bring the outer rail in 1" to make it fit or do the bucket seat tracks bolt in differently or maybe made differently? :blam:
Thoughts,suggestions.....
Thanks
Shawn

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Have you tried bolting your 60/40 seat tracks to your buckets? It may work for you.

chromemoly4130

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2009
┌∩┐(○_○)┌∩┐
I am re-using the old brackets off the 60/40 seat, the buckets I got didnt have the tracks. I just figured the 60/40 brackets(tracks) would bolt directly up yo the Monte SS buckets without any mods, I have a Monte SS and just from looking at the tracks in it..... it looks almost Identical to the 60/40's in the Regal but something has to be different somewhere. I will Post pics of the Regals tracks as soon as I get them loaded.
Thanks

chromemoly4130

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2009
┌∩┐(○_○)┌∩┐
O.K. heres the pics of the passenger side of the 60/40 bench, I guess you could say its the 60 side. These are the rails that was under the 60 portion, look just like the ones in my Monte.
IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

I guess if it comes to it, I will just remove one of the buckets from the Monte to see what the difference is :roll:

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
I have monte ss buckets where my 60/40 was if i remember right the tracks wouldn't work so i had to use the ones from the ss....,but with the ss seats and tracks they go in no prob.

chromemoly4130

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2009
┌∩┐(○_○)┌∩┐
O.K.,
I got the passenger side bucket in as you can see from the pic.
IMG_1295.jpg

What I ended up doing was moving the outer track in the 1" that it was off by. In order to do this I had to cut and weld a small thin (16gauge) piece of steel to the front of the rail where it bolted to the floor, I brought out the extended piece 1-1/2" so it would give me more surface to anchor it to the floor
IMG_1299.jpg

Next on the back part of the rail, there are 2 bolts that come up threw that are used to bolt it down, so by moving it over the 1" it eliminated using the bolt closer to the door but it put the inner bolt right between the two bolt holes where there was nothing to drill threw to make a anchor point for the bolt. I cut another small piece of steel and welded between the two bolt holes so I would have a place just for that.
IMG_1298.jpg

its not pretty but it does the job and now all I have to do is the other side........................
Cant wait :lol:

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
looks good! i had to do the same thing when i put buckets in mine except my seats were out of a newer car so they weren't even close to fitting, any idea what your going to do for an armrest? ive been driving mine without one for a while and it sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor