94 z28 manual to auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
and when i say transfer wiring, i mean remove all the wires, transmission connector to ecm, from the buick. its easier. and make sure any ground wires are soldered.
and right everything down so you can reference them later.
there are many items that don't swap between "b" body lt1s and "f" body lt1s. the buick is obd2, so some engine sensor connectors will not match up to obd1 camaro sensor connectors. camaro maf sensors are larger and won't fit the rubber inlet and are calibrated differently. camaro has 1 knock sensor, buick has 2. 96 4l60e trans will only work with 96 ecm. obd2 ignition control module and ignition coil have different connectors than obd1.
it can be done, it takes patience and attention to detail.
i have a 96 camaro lt1 and 4l60e in my 79 caballero and i used a 94 caprice wiring harness. lots of learning.
I appreciate your advice. I have been researching all winter and am aware of many things you are saying. The pcm and engine are coming from the buick, so knock sensors are not an issue, other than the wiring which I believe is in place anyways.. The engine harness pieces I will need are for some sensors and the obd2 connector. I have the time and skills to get it done, especially with help from people on this forum. I cannot stress it enough how much better this forum is than any others for helpful advice.
I will remove whole drivetrain harness from buick this coming weekend and will be getting to installing the engine/transmission as well. Body is up and waiting.
Thanks again for your advice. I am sure I will have more things to ask.

Reactions: 1 user

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
For clarity I'd like to point out that the only differences between a Camaro and land yacht LT1 were the cam and heads, and the heads on the boats actually flow better but they are iron and do lower compression.
The heads flow a little better and can be ported much more. They also hold heat better, making more top end power.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Then go with just a 5 speed?

-Gonz

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Then go with just a 5 speed?

-Gonz
Try and find a t5 that is usable for less than a 1000. They are usually beat to death and guys still think they are worth a fortune. And then try and find one within 500 miles of where I am. I have been trying. I buy a ton of stuff in Western Canada and would gladly go with a t5. I have the Buick for parts and the time and skill. Well, the Buick anyways. I also have a TCI turbo 400 if I cannot get this combo to work right. It was behind a 500hp 400 and never missed a beat.
As well, I still haven't removed the pedals and master/slave so I guess I am still open to the manual option for sure.
And with an auto, my 17 year old daughter can drive it.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Try and find a t5 that is usable for less than a 1000. They are usually beat to death and guys still think they are worth a fortune. And then try and find one within 500 miles of where I am. I have been trying. I buy a ton of stuff in Western Canada and would gladly go with a t5. I have the Buick for parts and the time and skill. Well, the Buick anyways. I also have a TCI turbo 400 if I cannot get this combo to work right. It was behind a 500hp 400 and never missed a beat.
As well, I still haven't removed the pedals and master/slave so I guess I am still open to the manual option for sure.
And with an auto, my 17 year old daughter can drive it.

I didnt realize you had a shortage around you. A quick CL search showed about 5 in my area, all around $350-$500 range, 2 of which needed to be pulled, but could be proven functional..

Compared to the T56 which netted me three hits for $1500-$2500 :rolleyes:

Just a thought..

-Gonz

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Can always go fabbot ar5 5 speed out of a colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor