'95 Firebird fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think the fuel pump has been the behind-the-scenes-culprit all along on this car. Lots of mysterious no-starts, then fine for a while. It finally quit for good. I have a new Spectre all-in-one replacement unit that is plug and play, just swap it in. So how would I go about this? Drop the tank and exhaust system? That would be a great time to wash out the tank and check everything else related. My shop friends say to just cut a hole in the floor and do it from inside. Patch the hole and replace the carpet and save many hours of hard labor. I know for them time is money but this car is off the road right now and is at my Mother-in-law's driveway taking up space and there are no tools there so I then would need to get it home somehow. If anyone has done this job I would appreciate your advice.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I helped a buddy do a fuel pump on his 96 Z28 and we just cut a hole in the floor. It really wasnt hard to do after that. We were in a stone driveway and he had to drive the car within the next couple days so we went that route. I didnt stick around for the whole project so I cant walk you through step-by-step.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, was it hard to locate the hole so all the fuel lines and wires were accessible? By that I mean did a small hole work or did it need to be huge? Can you see from underneath where to cut or did you need to hunt around blindly? EDIT: found this- looks easy. Thank's for the help!
cut02_zpsc35cf86e.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So it went well, cut a hole, swapped in the pump assembly, started right up. Easy peasy. And luckily I avoided dropping the exhaust because it turns out it was all welded. Today I got around to making a cover plate and sealing it up with 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant, then sheet metal screws. The 5200 is messy but it ain't EVER leaking exhaust into the cabin or coming apart without dynamite. 83MONTESS you were right on- thank's!
P8060137_zpsa80237f4.jpg
P8060139_zps03a67618.jpg
P8060138_zpscb03a73c.jpg
P8060140_zps7021a6a7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor