95' Impala SS twin turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
Latest project I'm building for one of my customers in our shop. 95' Impala SS with Nelson Competition 427ci LSX twin turbo's. Just finished fabbing the custom 1-3/4" 321s.s. headers (purge welded & silicon bronze on outside of primary tubes to flange.) Should be in the neighborhood of around 1300-1400HP on the street.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,464
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,307
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,221
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,298

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's going to be a cool build, I'm guessing Nelson Competition would be Nelson Racing Engines.
I'm curious why the copper header gasket on the driver's side is out of place with the header bolted on?

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
No not Tom Nelson of Nelson Racing out in California. Kris Nelson of Nelson Competition.
http://www.nelsoncompetition.com/

One of the top respected race engine builders in the NMCA & NHRA class.

Copper gasket used was for mock up. I didn't notice it was out of place when I bolted the header up as well as it being upside down - lol!! I'll corrected next week when I go to work.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
SIGH..... :? subscribed I would one day to get one soon... I found one nearby and briefly threw the idea of throwing in the my 6.0 soon to be 408... but the car was beat up and the guy went from 2500 to 3500 just because of the interest received he claimed... car needed hood, right fender, and the car was painted some crazy lime green paint job... claims it was a real SS :roll: Looking forward to this build thread and hopefully if a nice clean one comes along... it's on! :wink:

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
Checked out your photobucket pix Ernesto - really cool Grand Prix build you have going on there. Don't see too many of those done up. That's gotta be a blast to drive.

I'm basically refabbing and correcting some f@#ked up mess that another shop previously did and in my opinion had no business building a car of this caliber. The fuel delivery was incorrect in everyway imaginable, exhaust manifolds looked like an amateur built them in their backyard and basically had the wrong ingredients going on with the car and took the customer for allot of money. I've basically been band aiding the car for the last 3&1/2 years and finally the customer decided to fix everything correctly. Improper fuel delivery subsequently caused too lean of fuel condition and burnt up some piston's & rings, ran low on oil too many times - toasted bearings, etc... With no tuning, and running lean it pulled 844rwhp & change with 22" dia. rims. Around 1000hp @ motor. Once I get everything straightened out it should easily put out 1000+ at rear wheels.

Steven

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Thanks Steven for the props man! it's a nice quick ride but for the most part its a stock 99 trans am... The t56 trans was the best upgrade though. looking to do 4:10's, headers and exhaust soon along with the ls6 intake and pcv valley cover... I feel you on fixing other peoples mistakes :shock: I will keep an eye on your build as I have a hard on for 94-96 Impala SS's especially high powered ones! :mrgreen:

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
Got the headers to the turbo pipes connected yesterday & today. 321 stainless 3" diameter 4" radius mandrel U bend pipe is expensive man almost $200.00 per each U bend. Needless to say - no room for messing up on your cut. I made cardboard templates 1st to figure my angles. As my old drafting teacher Mr. Coney used to stress - "Think three times, measure twice, cut once!"

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 867
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 789
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 783

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida
Anyone wondering what the extra turbo flange sandwiched between the turbo flange & header flange is - The turbos are so far forward past the headers that puts allot of excessive strain on the header manifolds and will inevitably cause the headers to crack. I have to figure out a way to make a support brace so I'm going to have my machinist buddy re-machine the March brackets with an additional flange to them as well as the turbo flanges that are sandwiched between the header/ turbo will have a flange either machined or welded to it that will connect the two for support. I'll have pix of it up someday when I get to that portion of it.

83partshauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2014
St. Petersburg Florida

Attachments

• impala turbo wastegates 079.JPG
    impala turbo wastegates 079.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 716
  • impala turbo wastegates 076.JPG
    impala turbo wastegates 076.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 695
  • impala turbo wastegates 078.JPG
    impala turbo wastegates 078.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 648
  • impala turbo wastegates 077.JPG
    impala turbo wastegates 077.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 685
  • impala turbo wastegates 084.JPG
    impala turbo wastegates 084.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 758
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor