98 sonoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Not sure if this is the right place or not but I'm looking at a 98 sonoma to fix up a bit. Anyways it has a 4.3 with 177k miles on it, runs but it dies under a load. From what I can find online it could be the ign module or the fuel pump. Does anybody have any experience with this problem?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Could also be a fuel pump relay. Had a early 90s s10 that would idle for 30 seconds and die and another that did what you're describing. Fuel pump relay solved both problems at least for me.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And the 4.3 is a near bullet proof engine if taken care of. Just a SBC -2 cylinders. Parts are everywhere.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I've had several 4.3s in the past, good engine just none with this problem. After doing some more research it looks like the crank position sensor going bad is common on this style of the 4.3s

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor