A good tire inflator to keep in trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What a pile of junk on the market. What is a good dependable 12v tire inflator that you can keep in the truck? Personally I keep a hand power bicycle pump, but that is just me. I need something for the women in the family.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
the OEM ones that have been in my wife's cars have been good.
Try calling a couple local used auto yards and see how much they would want for one. Some might even still have the foam/gel fix-a-flat canister still in them.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I would just make them use a bicycle pump. But that would be like telling them to throw their phones away and write a letter.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
I have a bunch of ryobi tools already so I always keep my Ryobi portable tire inflator in my car with a charged battery. Surely if you wanna get fancy you can wire in the charger as well.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
On YouTube, Project Farm compared a bunch of those. There was a Harbor Freight on that did ok. The main thing was to not run them more than 5-10 minutes without a cooldown period. I think the HF one had a metal compressor where some of the others where plastic.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A spare tire with 70+psi of air pressure and a hose/chuck?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have a bunch of ryobi tools already so I always keep my Ryobi portable tire inflator in my car with a charged battery. Surely if you wanna get fancy you can wire in the charger as well.
I have the Ryobi line as well, including their mower. The 9 amp batteries kick *ss. I may pick that up. I bought this one from Canadian Tire up here, I had to fix a minor wiring issue after a year or so but it works way better than the cheap ones and the case is nice.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
the OEM ones that have been in my wife's cars have been good.
Try calling a couple local used auto yards and see how much they would want for one. Some might even still have the foam/gel fix-a-flat canister still in them.
Please as a old tire changer back in the day , do not use that slime and fix a flat crap in your tires. lawnmowers and bikes are OK , but not car tires. your local tire shop tech will not be amused.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
slime and fix a flat crap
Yes, I learned that sad lesson many years ago. I ruined a valuable snowflake rim that way. I just need something cheap that will work the one time it needs to. I can't see spending $100 for something that will probably sit in the trunk forever and die of old age. I had a HF pump years ago. The fitting the hose went on melted. I actually fixed it but then the rest failed too. The older model Slime pump has good reviews, the fancy new one not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor