AC gauges and hoses

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Can anyone recommend a set of gauges for doing the AC on my car? I have a vac pump but my gauges are from the early 90's and are beat to heck. I used to do car and residential ac but that was r12 and r22. Don't think I'll have issues with new stuff but don't want to spend hundreds on a set if I'm only going to use it once... hopefully
Thanks
20231219_094331.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep, just get the regular 134 manifold gauge set. Harbor Freight I have several, never had an issue.

If you still have the original R-12 Schrader valves you have to get the R-134 attachments. They are not very expensive and just screw on to the R-12 connectors. Once attached, they stay on.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Thanks guys. Heading to HF in a few hours. My system is new Holley and Restomod air so it's 134a. Takes 24oz total but I'll pick up 3 12oz cans just in case and make sure I have all correct fittings.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Bought the Pittsburgh set. Haven't been in HF since they had that recall on jack stands many moons ago and had a gift card that was given for defective stands. Wasn't sure it would still be good. But miracles exist. Walked out with gauges and a few extra fittings and 3 12oz cans of 134a for $30. Merry Christmas to me.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
If the set you bought still has plastic knobs, remember to be easy on them. Grabbed mine forgot they weren't the yellow jackets and cranked a little to hard on them.

IMG_20231221_161813356.jpg

I also remember some issue with the yellow charge hose not working with the 1lb can adapters. I used another hose I had.

My set is old so yours could be different.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
If the set you bought still has plastic knobs, remember to be easy on them. Grabbed mine forgot they weren't the yellow jackets and cranked a little to hard on them.

View attachment 232662

I also remember some issue with the yellow charge hose not working with the 1lb can adapters. I used another hose I had.

My set is old so yours could be different.
This one has aluminum knobs but specifically says don't over tighten. Was getting ready to vac system. Changed pump oil because it has to be 20 years old. You think dif gear oil smells bad. Ha. Nasty. Anyway bumped it on and coupler exploded. Waiting on parts now.

• Wow

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor