Accelerator peddle pulsing/clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks for reading needing help. I habe a 1983 Buick Regal Base Model 3.8L V6. I replaced the oil pressure switch, coolant temp switch and sensor along with coolant recently. Got everything back together and my gas peddle is pulsing/ clicking when in drive. Literally you can see it pulsing and clicking. When you accelerate it stops but but can notice it if you let off. Also does it while at a stop pushing on the brake but stops when you put it in park or take it out of gear. Not moving at all just starts doing this when in drive. Engine light is on just not sure if s scan tool could hook up to it and read codes on it. It drives good just not sure what could this be? Everything seems to be connected. I believe it's a 2 barrel carburetor but not positive 9n how to tell. (Tried to upload a video but no luck.)

Thanks for any help

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Since it is a throttle cable I think something on the engine/transmission is resting against the cable. The rocking engine motion may be tugging on the cable when it is in gear. How are your motor mounts?

Reactions: 1 user

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Since it is a throttle cable I think something on the engine/transmission is resting against the cable. The rocking engine motion may be tugging on the cable when it is in gear. How are your motor moun

Since it is a throttle cable I think something on the engine/transmission is resting against the cable. The rocking engine motion may be tugging on the cable when it is in gear. How are your motor mounts?
Bonnewagon Thanks alot for your reply. Definitely something to look into. I believe they're in decent shape. I will check on the cable and mounts asap. Everything's been fine beforehand and really didn't adjust much in replacing things with the coolant flush. Did have to replace some fittings on the carburetor along the way though.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
ELCAM Yes, it does. I had to replace the signal switch ache back but wasn't able to hook it up just look like it was to big of a job from what I had saw. So at the moment the turn signals work but the cruise control is not hooked up

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Idle control motor acting up? The ECM controls idle speed with a servo mounted on the carb.
L92 OLDS Hey Thanks...Didn't think about this one either. I'll try and figure out if there's a way to test this. Just found this in my Manuel and I'm hoping it not lol. But will definitely be looking into this as well. Thanks alot!

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
ELCAM I was thinking about this when you asked if it had cruise control do you think this could be vacuum related issue?

Thanks for reading needing help. I habe a 1983 Buick Regal Base Model 3.8L V6. I replaced the oil pressure switch, coolant temp switch and sensor along with coolant recently. Got everything back together and my gas peddle is pulsing/ clicking when in drive. Literally you can see it pulsing and clicking. When you accelerate it stops but but can notice it if you let off. Also does it while at a stop pushing on the brake but stops when you put it in park or take it out of gear. Not moving at all just starts doing this when in drive. Engine light is on just not sure if s scan tool could hook up to it and read codes on it. It drives good just not sure what could this be? Everything seems to be connected. I believe it's a 2 barrel carburetor but not positive 9n how to tell. (Tried to upload a video but no luck.)

Thanks for any help
Anyone...

Could this be vacuum related issue? One of my brass/aluminum hose fittings broke inside it just a little piece. Was able to get it out but need to replace. Can you use plastic in place of it coming off the carburetor? Its a T-fitting that connects 2 hoses.???

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I wouldn't use plastic, if it beaks and sucks in a piece of it it could plug up the vacuum passage and ruin the carburetor.

Have someone else put the car in gear while running and see if it the cruise servo or the idle solenoid doing weird things. Then go from there.

You should be able to get a piece of 3/32 brass tube at a hardware store. Put a 1/8 drill bit inside it when you cut it to length so you don't crush it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor