Adjusting the Quadrajet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, here's a new problem for me.

I'm in the process of tuning up the 305 in my Malibu. But for some reason I cant adjust the carb. I know about GM capping off the adjustment screws and mine are already uncapped (unless they weren't doing this yet on the '80 models). I bought the proper tool for it and it fits on. The problem is the screws won't turn. I tried on both sides, and they both seem to be stuck.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there something I am missing or don't know about?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I sprayed some carb cleaner into where the adjustment screws are. Didn't make any difference. I was hoping it was just gummed up. Maybe after is soaks over night it will be better.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Carb cleaner wont really "soak in". Try penetrating oil.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You may end up having to pull the carb to see why they are stuck. It may have been some evil on GM's part to keep you from tuning it. Also, is it an electronic carb or is your car equipped with either the C4 or CCC system of engine management? Being a 1980 model, it may have some "unusual" quirks to the carb.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Will do. I think it's so weird that they are stuck like that. I have never heard of this happening before.

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
The 1980 were not yet computer (except CA). The screws have nothing special about them, but are likely rusted on the inside.

I'd advise against trying to mess with the idle mixture adjustments. You can turn those screws all day and you may not notice any change in the engine.

What likely happened was the throttle shaft wear allowed the idle mixture to go too lean, so someone backed the adjustment out. The problem is, with the shaft wear (guaranteed on the Rochester aluminum base plate) you will NEVER get the idle adjustment right.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well my '85 Bonneville has had the cc carb removed for a normal one. And it seems pretty good. Maybe I'll use that one.

Does anyone know a good site that I can check the numbers and see what kind of carb it is?

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
I don't know a web site, but if you post the model number I can look in the manual for you. The model numbers actually can be decoded somewhat like a VIN.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I got the kids today so I probably won't get a chance to get the numbers until after supper. Where do I look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor